Where do you get parts for older glastron boats?

brenjmull

Recruit
My son just bought a 1977 glastron T-166xl boat,, he got a great deal We think,, $500, it has an 80 Hp Mercury moter,,thats needs a tune up, trailer has new tires,, working lights. The fiberglass is in really great shape,, it needs some cushions replaced,, the top has broken arms that are held together with tape.. Where can we get replacement parts? would it be better to get the cushions reupholstered? We are exctied to help him out with this project and get it in the water soon for a test drive..

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Where do you get parts for older glastron boats?

Theres lots of websites that sell replacement bit and peices for tops, cushions can be redone or get new ones, if the foam is decent you can do them yourself.

What I would do is concentrate on the engine, the boat is hazardous waste without the engine. Talk to the guys in the Merc forum and find out what to do, don't just fuel it up and crank it up, certain things need setting up correctly, all it take is a bit of junk in a carb to fry a piston.
Get the engine set up right, make sure the bilge pump is in good order...the rest is just cosmetics.

armstrt

Recruit

Any hints on where to find replacement cushions for the bow in a 1979 glastron t-166xl?

jcsercsa

Captain

Any hints on where to find replacement cushions for the bow in a 1979 glastron t-166xl?

I had to make mine , you arent going to find any new ones that fit !! some of the hard ware I have found on Ebay , good luck John

redfury

Commander

If you are looking for good used ones, then you are looking at people parting out boats on craigslist or similar, and that's going to be a crap shoot.

Reupholstery is the way to go to get the results that you want. Same thing goes for windshield parts...there really isn't any real boat junkyards out there...just guys selling the good parts off their boats that are going to the dump.