Help - '89 Evinrude 200 XP worked fine, but now is dead

bullstanky

Cadet
Friends, Romans, countrymen,

The '89 Evinrude 200 XP on my '77 Grady W/A has been working great, until the other day. I had the boat in the water for the first time this season and had been using it for the weekend with no problems. I jumped on for a quick jaunt, and when I tried to trim the engine down into the water, it was totally dead--no power to the trim switch on the throttle, no power to the starter, no power to the trim switch on the engine--Dead. But, the battery had plenty of juice and all of my electronics were working fine. Being of great mechanical skill, I jiggled the key a little and jiggled the wires, and low and behold, she trimmed down and started right up.

I didn't bother to record this event in my memory, and two days later, while at anchor a good ways away from the dock, I encountered the same problem--no power to the trim switch on the throttle, no power to the starter, no power to the trim switch on the engine--and this time my wire jiggling didn't do the trick. Luckily I still had power to the VHF and sea tow came and towed me back to the ramp, where I had to borrow an old speaker wire from the back of a nice gentleman's pickup truck to jump directly from the battery to the trim motor lead so I could trim the engine up and pull the boat out of the water.

The first thing I did was clean off all of the electrical leads on the cables going from the battery to the engine and ignition switch, but this didn't help. My mechanic said to check the red plug connecting to the wiring harness, which I did. It looked fine, but I still cleaned all of the leads just in case--still no power.

It seems that the problem occurred right after having trimmed the engine up or down (which binds the electrical wiring coming out of the engine against the engine well a little each time), so I'm thinking there is some corrosion somewhere in the wiring that is causing the problem--unless there is a simple blown fuse somewhere that I don't know about.

I guess my question is this--is there a good way to test the wiring to find the issue, or should I just get a new-used control box and wires off of ebay and just start replacing stuff until it works??

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Help - '89 Evinrude 200 XP worked fine, but now is dead

unplug the big red plug to eliminate the harness and binacle from the circuit, now try trim/tilt from the engine side.

if it works the trouble is at the binacle end, take another good look at the key and those wires you jiggled under the console/dashboard.
Ignition locks can twist around in the bezel mount.

"binds the electrical wiring coming out of the engine against the engine well a little each time" ...

and FIX that too.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

near the starter solenoid is a red inline fuse holder, 20 amp fuse. controls controller circuit.

bullstanky

Cadet

That's the kind of genius I'm looking for--big money, no whammies!

Pure genius--I replaced the fuse and found/replaced the separated spark plug wire that caused the blown fuse and she started up just fine:)