Titling a motorcycle in WI w/o title?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
I'm looking at a fixer-upper motorcycle on eBay. So far the price is cheap and it's only a few towns away from me. It has no title and it's not being sold by that owner, but by some guy that buys and eBays such stuff. What does it take to get a replacement or salvage title in Wisconsin for a Motorcycle? It probably came from this state, but maybe not.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Re: Titling a motorcycle in WI w/o title?

willy I am not sure of the age of this MC but you can get a title. I have done it for many old bikes I have bought over the years. I used to use a company called titles unlimited out of Alabama. Here is how it works. In Alabama you need only a bill of sale to transfer ownership. You sell your vehicle to the title company on paper. They in turn obtain an Alabama title and regestration. Then they sell it back to you on paper, they send you back all the documents. Then all you do is transfer the title to your name and state. The whole thing takes about three weeks. I never had a problem, but you might if the vehicle has a lien or is on a hot sheet. It will show up.<br /><br /><br />Here is a link to a similar company.<br /><br /> http://www.broadwaytitle.com/lost-automobile-titles.htm

one more cast

Captain

If its an old one you might first want to check with your DMV. I have legally registered several pre 1974 vehicles with just a bill of sale. Here in NY older vehicles use a transferable registration instead of a title.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

you have to get a form from the dmv. tell them what you have thay will send form. some requier pics to estamate vaule. fill it out the best you can then you have to have a cop look at the #s on the bike. and fill out there section of the bike dmv will run #s to see it's not hot. if not thay will send you title.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes titles become obsolete after a certain age here in VT too.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Gents! I didn't win that one, but I'll be looking. The same seller sells this kinda stuff all the time. Most are for parts, but some run.