What is "auto one-way venting"?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
My 6-gal OMC Dura-Tank has no vent screw in the cap, but the tank supposedly has "auto one-way venting" ... is the vent for the tank incorporated into the "manifold assembly"?

Is there any simple way to verify that the venting is working correctly?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is "auto one-way venting"?

they are built into the cap, all the old OMC tanks had that, where merc always had the thumb knob, you had to open.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

they are built into the cap, all the old OMC tanks had that, where merc always had the thumb knob, you had to open.

I took the cap off, scrubbed it spotless ... and examined the top with a hand lens ... but couldn't seen any obvious "vent" hole! Is there one, and if so, where is it located?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't know it was there secret. i could never find one either, but it worked.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

i don't know it was there secret. i could never find one either, but it worked.

You can't find it because that isn't where it is. It is built into the housing where the hose plugs on. It lets air be drawn into the tank, but not blow back out. That is why it will build up pressure in the sun. But don't worry, it also has a relief feature that lets air escape before it builds enough pressure to explode. It is all automatic and reliable. The only "test" would be if you suspect it is not admitting air and causing a problem, loosen the cap. If that fixes the suspected problem, repair or replace the outlet housing.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

You can't find it because that isn't where it is. It is built into the housing where the hose plugs on. It lets air be drawn into the tank, but not blow back out. That is why it will build up pressure in the sun. But don't worry, it also has a relief feature that lets air escape before it builds enough pressure to explode. It is all automatic and reliable. The only "test" would be if you suspect it is not admitting air and causing a problem, loosen the cap. If that fixes the suspected problem, repair or replace the outlet housing.

So you're saying that the vent for the tank is incorporated into the "manifold assembly" ... right?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So you're saying that the vent for the tank is incorporated into the "manifold assembly" ... right?

OK, lemme back up a bit. I was assuming you were talking about the tanks I'm familiar with. Might have been a bad assumption. I just did some browsing, and haven't found a tank with a "manifold assembly" as such. Can you tell me where you are finding that tank and nomenclature?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, that is too new for me. I am completely unfamiliar with it. Disregard everything I said. Sorry.