bought wrong oil

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I mentioned to my bride that her Jeep was due for an oil change and I planned on doing it myself.She knows that we only use synthetic oil in her Jeep so she thought she would be a sweetie and pick it up for me.Well, she got the wrong oil.I know all I need to know about the oils that I use in my boats and vehicles,but I know nothing about what she brought home.Synthetic(at least she was listening)Rotella 5w40.For diesels I suppose.I will be returning it for Mobil 1 but I am sure plenty of guys would give it a whirl.How bad can it be????Charlie

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: bought wrong oil

How bad can it be????
Exactly. :D <br /><br />That's what I use in my motorcycle, Mobile 1 version. It's not really any "thicker" than the 5W30.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

its good oil i worked for a shop one time the owner put in everything he owned even gas motors.i never seen any bad motors come out with that oil.

LubeDude

Admiral

Go ahead and try it, if its the 4 liter engine, you might like it, its a great oil. (Of course you knew I would say that). Unless its like 0 degrees where you are 4 liters like a 40 weight.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

LD ,I may try it on something else but there is only 13k on it and it is a 4.0L.I dont want to experiment while under warranty.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating Tech.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> LD ,I may try it on something else but there is only 13k on it and it is a 4.0L.I dont want to experiment while under warranty.
40 weight is a much better choice for that engine. It's not experimenting, it is tried and true. I've seen many oil analysis results that prove it is true. It used to be the factory recommended weight until the EPA stuck their noses in it.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

So the general opinion is that Rotella synthetic 5w40 would be fine for applications other than diesel.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

In times past, diesel oil had more detergent properties. What I was told, diesels are less forgiving of deposits.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

yes more detergents is the main difference, it can actually make your motor too clean.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

This has got to be the first post re; oil that there have been ZERO disagreements.There is a first time for everything... ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by theScrumbler:<br /> yes more detergents is the main difference, it can actually make your motor too clean.
What????? :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Maybe if the engine was an old engine and had a lot of deposits already, but we are talking about an almost new engine.<br /><br />What weight oil does you owners manual require?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

manual states 10-30 for temps 0 to 100+ degrees and 5-30 for below 0 to 100