Using a timing gun?

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 50hp johnson 1986 that I would like to check the pickup timing. I have an induction gun my friend loaned me but I am not sure hth to use it.

I get confused about how to hook up the red wire to the spark plug wire number 1. The motor needs to run so how can i connect it to the wire w/o unpluging the sparplug?

And then once I get this far what do I point the gun at?

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Using a timing gun?

The timing guns I have used have a clip that clamps on to the #1 wire, you don't unhook any wires to run them. Then you just hook up the negative to the battery and away you go.

On the intake side of the motor, above your carbs and below the flywheel, there should be markings measured in degrees. This is what you point the gun at. Your timing will change at different throttle positions, Ie WOT and idle.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you know much about pickup timing? I adjusted my jam nut and am worried I may have messed up the pickup timing. This could hurt my motor?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you are going to try and sync & link that engine. You may want to do a little research. Searching around that spinning flywheel with a timing light with it's dangling wire's can have thing's get fast, and merry. When you are dealing with timing, you won't to know what to adjust, and how far.