Boat Cleaning Questions...

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a 1992 Bayliner Classic 2252 22ft Cuddy... The thing has been sitting in a barn or outside for the last 2+ yrs. I have another thread going here about getting it mechanically going. I have some cleaning questions and looking for tips and advice and what to use and what not to use etc.

Everything is dirty on this thing from top to bottom left to right.

1) What do I use to clean the hull up and get it back to a shine from the rough and dull finish it has now?

2) What can I use to clean the vinyl seats and get them back in shape. There in in good condition just dirty and dingee.

3) Cleaning the carpet and other surfaces?

4) What should I use to reattach some of the carpet and the headliner in the cuddy? Again everything is in good condition not torn or anything just very dirty.

5) What to I do I use and how do I go about cleaning and disinfecting the potable water system for the sink? It smells pretty bad and has some mold growing on the vent tube... Not sure what the tank looks like yet.

89vip

Cadet
Re: Boat Cleaning Questions...

Just went through my boat tonight cleaning. Here is what I use, its cheap and works well.

Hull: Clean with mild soap and water, towel dry, then take pledge(furniture polish) and spray the hull down. I have a 17ft bowrider and use a whole can. Then jsut wipe with cloth, preferably lint free. I was out last year and spent 4 hours waxing jsut one side with wax and a buffer, buddy came by and said just use pledge. Tried it on the other side and it looked better that the side I spent so much time on. It took me about 10 minutes to wax mine tonight.

Cloth: I bought this cleaner at walmart in the sporting goods. Said it restored seats to brighter color, sprayed it on the seats and used a scrub brush to really get them clean, then just wiped off with damp towel. Didnt even know the seats where that dirty. I will get the name and get back to you on that.

Stains in carpet: Coalgate shaving cream, spray on, scrub, wipe clean. Even works in house on carpet.

This may help.

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help... This thing is really dirty... I took everything out of it and opened ever compartment and door and am trying to get it dried / aired out...

89vip

Cadet

I know what you mean I bought my boat last year and it had been under a cover not moved in 4 years. My carport was soured, seats had black spots all over them and it was covered with dirt. The cleaner from walmart even took the majority of the black out and definetly got the dirt off.

Bye the way the cleaner is MARINE Spray Nine, boating supplies at walmart, it was like 7 dollars for a bottle, and for that price it did what I needed.

Hope this helps.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Just went through my boat tonight cleaning. Here is what I use, its cheap and works well....pledge(furniture polish)...Stains in carpet: Coalgate shaving cream...

Those are some interesting cleaning tips 89 -- thanks for posting them. I'm going to give them a try myself next weekend.

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

I just picked up a 1992 Bayliner Classic 2252 22ft Cuddy...

4) What should I use to reattach some of the carpet and the headliner in the cuddy? Again everything is in good condition not torn or anything just very dirty.

5) What to I do I use and how do I go about cleaning and disinfecting the potable water system for the sink? It smells pretty bad and has some mold growing on the vent tube... Not sure what the tank looks like yet.

Anyone know anything about this?

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[/B]

Anyone know anything about this?

Yup, use bleach/water mix. For a far better explanation than I have time to type now, go over to a RV website like rv.net and do a search or ask about sanitizing a water system. You'll find all the info you need.

The moral of the story will be bleach/water and time...followed by a thorough rinsing with maybe a little baking soda thrown in to help get rid of the remaining bleach smell/taste.

-RW

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

Reasearched the Fresh Water Tank Sanatizing:
10:1 Bleach / Water Mix (12-13oz Bleach to 1 Gal of Water) This mixture needs to be in contact with surfaces to be sanatized for atleast 1 hrs to kill all bacteria etc.

So basically fill system with solution. tow or run the boat for about 10- 15 mins to slosh the tank and then let sit for over and hour... Flow pumps and facucets to sanatize lines and fixtures...

Rinse well and then use baking soda to eliminate odors and or tastes...

I am working on a tutorial based on my experiences as I go...

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

I know what you mean I bought my boat last year and it had been under a cover not moved in 4 years. My carport was soured, seats had black spots all over them and it was covered with dirt. The cleaner from walmart even took the majority of the black out and definetly got the dirt off.

Bye the way the cleaner is MARINE Spray Nine, boating supplies at walmart, it was like 7 dollars for a bottle, and for that price it did what I needed.

Hope this helps.

Didn't find the Marine Spray Nine at my local Wal-Mart but they are hit and miss on some stuff... I did find it at my Local West Marine and it was $7.99 so I am gonna give it a whirl tomorrow if the rain stops. Will post some picture results...

mphy98

Lieutenant

3m fiberglass finisher and restorer for your faded and chalky fiberglass. 1/2 bleach 1/4 white viniger, 1/4 water for other vinyl cleaning. use this on white surfaces and cover anything else so it wont fade. use a spray bottle and rub lightly. kills mildew and mold.