USB 2.0 all around? *** Resolution! Piece of cake! ***

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I have a PC with a Biostar U8668 Grand mother board in it that supports 6 usb ports (three usb headers on board). The mb has two usb ports on back directly connected to the mb usb header, and two usb ports on the front connected to mb usb pin header with a narrow ribbon cable. There is a third USB pin header unused.<br /><br />The ports on the back support USB 2.0, but the ports on the front are only USB 1.0 I have downloaded and reinstalled the USb 2.0 controller and still only have 2.0 on the rear. I moved the ribbon cable to the unused usb header and it still is only 1.0.<br /><br />The rear ports are directly mounted on the motherboard usb header so trying to connect a ribbon cable to it is not an option.<br /><br />In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers looks like this:<br /><br />+ Universal Serial Bus Controllers<br /> + USB Root Hub<br /> + USB Root Hub<br /> + USB Root Hub<br /> + USB Root Hub<br /> + VIA rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller<br /> + VIA rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller<br /> + VIA rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller<br /> + VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller<br /><br />It has the Enhanced host controller that gives 2.0 support to rear ports on rear header. All drivers are the same across the host controllers and hubs. <br /><br />How do I get 2.o support to the other usb headers? This is driving me nuts.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: USB 2.0 all around? *** Resolution! Piece of cake! ***

Are you resonably sure your case has 2.0 compliant USB connectors? Some of the old 1.1 compliant ports won't work with 2.0, especially if they use the wrong sort of wire.<br /> <br />You mentioned ribbon cable so I have to ask...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Do it the easy way.<br />Go buy a couple usb 2.0 hubs, and plug them into the rear ports.<br />Now you will have 8 ports, and save yourself the headache.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Are you resonably sure your case has 2.0 compliant USB connectors? Some of the old 1.1 compliant ports won't work with 2.0, especially if they use the wrong sort of wire.<br /> <br />You mentioned ribbon cable so I have to ask...
The ribbon that feeds the front, and connector, only support 1.0 not 2.0 it doesn’t matter if the header supports 2.0.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> :(

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The mother board manual says they are all 2.0. <br /><br />It has the front ports connected to the USB header with an 8 strand flat ribbon cable. I don't know anything about USB cables. If the MB says the port is 2.0 will changing the cable between the mb header and the front pannel resolve the problem? <br /><br />Thanks, <br />Mark.

Summer Fun

Banned

Mark ...You need a 2.0 driver. to do what you are trying to do. all my usb ports work now .i can try to send the driver in a e-mail to you...ok ...wayne.....ps i have 8 usb posts 4 on back 4 on front...p.s.s it will update 1.0 to 2.0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ok, I found an internal cable. Will have to get a few of these to hook up to the pin heads:<br /><br />
cpx101_2_2.gif
<br /><br />Wayne, I do have a 2.0 driver 'cause I get 2.0 on the rear ports (+ VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller). It's just the front that are 1.0. Do you mean that in addition to changing the cable to the one above I need an additional 2.0 driver?

Summer Fun

Banned

no just download driver again and plug something in to the front usb and it should update itself to 2.0 .. hope this help . it did for me ....wayne

Paul Moir

Admiral

That's the idea. If the old ones were hooked up with ribbon cable, there's no way on earth they're compliant with 2.0.<br />I'm pretty sure this is your problem but not 100% certain. You might want to pop down to your local geekstore and beg/borrow/buy one of these:<br />
STD1_F3U001.jpg
<br />to test out with. They're pretty common & easy to find because they (sometimes) come with motherboards & are seldom needed for the motherboard install.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I think my problem comes from this PC being a "bare bones" setup I bought last year. The mother board says it has 2.0 pin heads, but the flat ribon cable comes with the case. That explains why the hard mounted (on mb) rear ports are 2.0, but the front ports are 1.0.<br /><br />Now all I have to do is get the 2.0 round cable setup and see if it works right. <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Mark.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Here is how things worked out: Bought two internal cables like the one above except each cable did two ports. I removed the little plastic housings that come on them and cut 4 port holes in an empty bay blank filler panel and mounted the ports to it. Double checked the pin header configuration, then just plugged the new cables to each of the double pin heads. Powered on the PC and BINGO! Four USB 2.0 ports on the front of the PC! No muss no fuss. So you guys were right, it was just the ribbon cable that was kicking it down to 1.0. <br /><br />When I plugged in my flash drive with an AVI video on it, Windows XP did not say it was 1.0, it went right into what to do with the flash drive. <br /><br />The AVI file plays full screen smooth as silk. Now loading the digital camera to the PC will be easier and faster than before.<br /><br />Thanks guys, it was a cheap and easy fix and a nice upgrade. Now the PC has 4 on the front and 2 on the back. The new cables are 20 inches long so if I want to I can easily move two from the front to the back. Wish everything was this easy to fix.<br /><br />Mark.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Glad to hear it was the simple-cheap-stupid solution! Thanks for the comeback: I was beginning to wonder.<br />Dang wires...