4.3 gi over heating

Cadet
First time on the sight.
I have a 2000 Volvo Penta 4.3gi that I took out yesterday (first trip of the year). Everything was fine for about 10 minutes until I noticed a slight bit of smoke coming from the engine compartment. I immeditely shut down, opened the compartment and noticed that both exhaust risers were smoking and starting to melt.

Not too sure where to begin the trouble shooting, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 gi over heating

when was the impeller changed last? Start there first.

Cadet

Guys,

I bought the boat 2 years ago, and to my knowledge neither the lower unit nor the water pump impellors have ever been changed. I guess this is a great place to start.

Also, in addition to the impellors and exhaust risers, is there anything else that you think may need to be replaced.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guys,

I bought the boat 2 years ago, and to my knowledge neither the lower unit nor the water pump impellors have ever been changed. I guess this is a great place to start.

Also, in addition to the impellors and exhaust risers, is there anything else that you think may need to be replaced.

the oil in your drive as long as your taking it apart

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why take the drive apart, there's no impeller in it. It's a Volvo, not a Mercruiser.
Unless that boat was used in salt water, the risers and exhaust manifolds will probably not be your problem.

Did you look at that link I posted in my previous reply?
What is the full model number of your engine, or even the serial number. Just because your boat is a 2000, doesn't mean the engine and drive are.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I have the same engine..If you need to replace the impeller do it with volvo parts...For whatever reason aftermaket create's or cause's the back seal to not seal properply..Been there done that twice now. and only 80 hours on the unit.

Here's the possible part's...and maybe Don could illuminate the difference..

? Impeller kit3858256
Replaced by
3862567 1
3862281 21 $48.93
$40.82

12095.png

12095.png

You will probably need your engine model number..aka

4.3Gi

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why take the drive apart, there's no impeller in it. It's a Volvo, not a Mercruiser.
Unless that boat was used in salt water, the risers and exhaust manifolds will probably not be your problem.

Did you look at that link I posted in my previous reply?
What is the full model number of your engine, or even the serial number. Just because your boat is a 2000, doesn't mean the engine and drive are.

woops
but would still change the oil since he mentioned it hasn't been done in 2 years.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hmm i believe i may have found the issue, I do have a volvo kit but it does not contain that black washer in front of the impeller. Don i assume that is part of the update

A black solid peice more like a spacer than anything else ....:redface: Sorry to jump this thread hopefully we will both learn something here.

kit.jpg

Cadet

Thanks for all the great information. I'll pulll the model and serial number and post later today.

It sounds like the groups concensus is the water-pump. Could this have caused the engine to heat the exhaust risers to the point of melting.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Could this have caused the engine to heat the exhaust risers to the point of melting.

Absolutely, after the water cools the engine, it goes out the exhaust to cool the exhaust.

PS: TG
That rubber washer is still in the kit, but I have also seen them fall out of the box they come in.

Cadet

Model number is 4.3 gi PEFS
Serial number is 4012009907

Can you help identify the actual year of the motor

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Thanks again Don...209900745....All the info being shown on this thread is for a PEFS..3862567 thats your kit

Cadet

I tried to pull the front cover off the water pump last night (held on with 3 brass screws). was hung up pretty tight. Any tricks or suggestions on how to remove?

kk lowrider

Cadet

Yes there are 4 screws you still need to get the last one out, its on the very bottom you may have to feel your way around. Let us know what the old impellar looks like if it is not in one piece youll have to find the pieces. Good luck

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You dismount the entire pump...facing the engine and to left of the pump you will notice two bolts that are mounted to the block. It is a simple as dismount and pulling the pump..Umm now getting it back on can be another story...;)