does any one tie the rear down when trailering?

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am new to pontoon boating and was wondering if I needed to tie the rear of my boat down when trailering it like I had to on my V hull

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: does any one tie the rear down when trailering?

yes tie the back down,you would be suprised how much a boat or other stuff jumps around on a trailer when you hit a bump,no need to take a chance of denting a tube or worse,mike243

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, it's very important to do so. If you were to have a winch strap failure it would help keep the boat on the trailer. It will also help the boat stay in place if you have to do any evasive manuvers on the highway.

Jeff

HammondTiger

Cadet

Every time I put it on the trailer I tie it down in the back and front along with the winch. It only takes a couple of tension straps and about 2 mins to have that peace of mind.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Gravity only works to a certain degree. As mentioned, in an emergency manuever, gravity may not hold the boat on the trailer and it can flipped off the trailer and be dragged. It would take about a 100 foot skid to burn a hole in a pontoon -- provided it didn't get wiped out along with another vehicle when they collided. By all means, tie down both ends. The winch strap nor the winch is enough to keep a boat (any boat) on a trailer in an emergency.

donnyskz1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my boat never leaves my driveway without the strap on it. you never know when you might have to stop quick or hit some really bad pot holes

SoulWinner

Commander

There is no provision on my boat or trailer for securing the stern to the trailer, and I never thought about it. I was surprised to see all the answers to the affirmative regarding this topic. I have never once seen a 'toon tied in the stern; not even at the local dealerships. In my opinion, if you have to perform some maneuver that can dislodge your boat from the trailer, having the stern tied down is the least of your worries and in the end probably wouldn't matter anyway.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Soulwinner, perhaps you should look at this picture and study it carefully. Note that there isn't any vehicle damage so this was nothing more than A panic stop. Now you tell us whether stern tie downs (pontoon or not) would have prevented this from happening. Emergencies don't always have to be swerves or severe bumps. If you have never experienced trailer sway, I can guarantee you will likely dump the load if you ever do and the load is not secure. While I have not experienced it, I've seen the result many times. Sir Isaac Newton had a theory that goes like this: "An object in motion tends to stay in motion". That is a very real observation and is taught in physics classes around the world. That is also why failure to wear a seat belt causes your head to break the windshield in an accident. Whether or not a pontoon will ride forward like this picture illustrates depends on how strong the winch post is. But it is fact -- a sudden swerve in one direction puts tremendous forces to work it can and will dislodge the boat. Also take a good long look at your winch locking mechanism. You will see just a couple of very small teeth serve as a brake to keep the winch from unwinding. How hard do you think it is to strip or break those teeth? If you don't have stern tie downs I suggest you add them.

Trailleroops.jpg

skargo

Banned

Only if you care about your boat, and don't want to kill people in a worst case scenario.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always use rope to secure the stern and bow in addition to the winch strap.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The bow should really have a safety "chain" rather than rope.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Only if you care about your boat, and don't want to kill people in a worst case scenario.

X-2 and I always use a safety chain through the bow eye too in case the winch strap were to break. Even if only towing three blocks. I want my boat to stay on my trailer unless I want to launch it.

roozter2550

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a Fisher Freedom 240DLX, 24' toon, and always tied down at the rear and chained the front.
I always trailered that boat...1 hour ride each way to/from the ramp.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a pontoon and do have it strapped down, but if you forget about the pontoon and look at a smaller boat on a pot hole filled road...ever follow a guy to the lake with a 10-12 foot boat and a small trailer, in actuality you are keeping the trailer under the boat, and by under I mean keeping the light trailer attached to the heavier boat as it flies around going down the road.

fubar007

Cadet

As far as securing the bow with a chain? Do it if it makes you feel good. Before you go through all that overkill first look at the flimsy bow mount that most toons have. I have a stainless 1/4 cabeling and a flimsy piece of aluminum bolted to an equally flimsy brace under the front. Most ropes are adequate and perhaps may be better for absorbing shock unlike chain and cable.

Tie downs are critically important---what ever kind you like. But they ought to be in the 800lb strength range. Without them, a passing semi-truck and/or windy overpasses are a thrill you won't soon forget.

Here's a funny thing that happened though. IF you forget to take the tie-downs off the stern, the boat AND the trailer may float when you back in. One more thing for your checklist.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Failure to properly secure the boat could land you in legal trouble. That's correct I said legal trouble. Its called improper lo securement, and comes with a hefty fine as well. The DOT isn't there just to harass the truck drivers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

unsecured loads are illegal. plus, picking a pontoon off the road with 3 sheriff deputies and an old ford tractor is not fun. while it did not happen to me, I do know the unfortunate person, and I did see the pictures.