One forward tank...twin outboards

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Mods: I reposted this here because I think it fits this forum better. Please delete the duplicate in the Boat Resto forum. Thanks.

I'm getting close to having the Texas Maid refitted for a spring shake-down run. She's a 1962-63 15-foot aluminum runabout with twin OMC 35 hp Big Twins on the transom (the pix show her with a Big Twin and a smaller Johnson 18 hp in an earlier configuration). I've drilled pass through holes with grommets in the splashwell so I can route a common set of battery cables to each Big Twin for starting off of one battery, mounted below the splashwell on the port side. I've figured out my passenger seat configuration, just haven't installed it yet...the idea is to mount a 9-gallon portable tank under that seat with long fuel hose and bulb routed somewhere along the port gunnel to the splashwell. I want to Y the fuel hose at the splash well to feed both big twins from the one tank. Will carry a spare portable six-gallon tank under the splashwell on the starboard side. I need to move the fuel weight forward under the passenger seat to balance out my weight in the pilot's seat...I'm a BOB (big ol' boy...6'4" and 265+ in fighting trim).
I searched and found this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306125 but can't get to the photobucket pix mentioned by Mark42 to see the splitter valve he mentions.
Do I need an on-off valve at the fuel line splitter, or will a simple Y work just as well? I plan to have a fuel filter installed in the long line before the splitter, and the bulb up close to the forward tank. The pix attached give a rough idea where the forward, port tank will be...under the folded-up passenger seat visible in the 1st pix. The 2nd pix shows the stern/splashwell area...black bob bottom right is the battery box...control cables not attached to the twins. She is stern heavy with two Big Twins, but I figure my weight and the weight of a passenger and forward fuel tank will help balance her out...even with the battery and spare six-gallon tank under the splashwell.
Any input on routing the fuel line and using a splitter is appreciated.

Attachments

• TMaid1LR.jpg
    TMaid1LR.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat9LR.jpg
    boat9LR.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0