violent shaking on mercrusier 120 i/o

nightsniper1

Cadet
the engine shakes about 6 inches at all rpms, inculding idle. all compression is good, we changed the coil, distributer cap, points and condeser, there all brand new. theres a new carb on it and still the same thing. i think its a 1970. any ideas of what could be wrong. thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: violent shaking on mercrusier 120 i/o

Check the firing order and make sure the the spark plug wires are in the correct order.

This wouldn't be the first time a couple of plug wires got reversed:eek:

Cheers,

Rick

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Firing order correct? front to back 1-3-4-2

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice

Check timing and dwell too. Dwell is VERY important. If your ganna keep the boat, buy a dwell meter. Feeler guages just are not as precise as a dwell meter.

nightsniper1

Cadet

Check the firing order and make sure the the spark plug wires are in the correct order.

This wouldn't be the first time a couple of plug wires got reversed:eek:

Cheers,

Rick

yep there in the correct order.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure you are going the right direction on the distributor cap? Note direction of rotor rotation in drawing below.
Also be sure #1 plug wire is where it actually is, it may not be as the picture shows.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

there correct.

Ayuh,.... If everything were Correct,... It wouldn't be Skipping,+ Shaking Violently....

Did you try removing the plug wires, 1 by 1, to see which is the offending cylinder,..??

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that motor is shaking 6" from misfire I would also check the motor mounts. The 120 is a transom mount engine.

nightsniper1

Cadet

ok a little more about the boat, ran out of time before. we were out fishing all day and no problems, we left it out over night and the problem started the next day. so we changed all of that stuff after the shaking started. we had problems with the distribter cap before, because it keep moving but, it has been doing that for years and it ran fine. ill check the cap tommorow and double check to make sure its right.

nightsniper1

Cadet

Ayuh,.... If everything were Correct,... It wouldn't be Skipping,+ Shaking Violently....

Did you try removing the plug wires, 1 by 1, to see which is the offending cylinder,..??

no i havent tried pulling one by one yet. i might be getting it out tommorow to try and if i can ill video a short clip of it so you guys can get an even better idea of it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever used this boat before? Do you give it some throttle when starting? Tell me you aren't trying to start it by just turning the key to start and hopeing.

nightsniper1

Cadet

Have you ever used this boat before? Do you give it some throttle when starting? Tell me you aren't trying to start it by just turning the key to start and hopeing.

ya we've had it for 15 years.

ill video a short clip of it so you guys can get an even better idea of it.

Yeh, post a vid, I'll have a look. Shaking around 6" like you say is kinda scary for the mount set-up on this engine. Almost certainly a misfire situation to make it move about as much as you say.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If your going to pull the wires 1 by 1 off of the cap do yourself a favor and buy some plastic or insulating plug wire pliers.

So your saying that the boat ran fine for an amount of time and with nothing changing it starting bucking that bad? Did you happen to hit anything in the water? Any damage to the drive unit?

nightsniper1

Cadet

Yeh, post a vid, I'll have a look. Shaking around 6" like you say is kinda scary for the mount set-up on this engine. Almost certainly a misfire situation to make it move about as much as you say.

ok i will as soon as i can. ya the whole boat shakes when it does that too.

nightsniper1

Cadet

If your going to pull the wires 1 by 1 off of the cap do yourself a favor and buy some plastic or insulating plug wire pliers.

So your saying that the boat ran fine for an amount of time and with nothing changing it starting bucking that bad? Did you happen to hit anything in the water? Any damage to the drive unit?

i have some of those pliers. ya it ran fine and it just didnt work right the next day, we didnt change anything untill after it started. no we didnt hit anything, the lower unit is new.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

pull the plugs and see if #4 is rusty or wet.may have popped a hole in the riser killing #4 cylinder

nightsniper1

Cadet

pull the plugs and see if #4 is rusty or wet.may have popped a hole in the riser killing #4 cylinder

ok ill take a look in the morning. i talked to a friend awhile ago and he said there might be a hole in the manifold.