96 150 Merc alarm sounding

kevinclark93

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 150 Mercury Offshore. I took it out yesterday and ran for about 45 minutes, then stopped and swam for about 30 min. When we got back in the boat and cranked up there was a solid beeeeep. It is the same beep that comes on when the key is turned but not turned far enough to crank the motor.

I checked the oil and it was a little more than 1/2 full, so I topped it off. The alarm was still sounding after the oil was filled. Also when I took the oil cap off you could hear the pressure equalize, which makes me think the oil pump is still working. One other thing of note when I removed the oil cap ther was a small amout of smoke in the oil tank. IS THAT NORMAL?

I also check the screen where the oil is sucked out and it was clean. The tell tell is also shooting a good stream of water.

I was about 30 min from the ramp and I could not get the alarm to stop, I also reset the battery to see if it would stop. I finally poured what oil I had left in the gas tank and road home with a loud constant beeeeep.

Any advice would be great.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 96 150 Merc alarm sounding

A steady beep is the overheat alarm. When is the last time the impeller and thermostat was changed?

kevinclark93

Seaman Apprentice

I bought the boat used this year and the previous owner changed it last season so it probably needs to be done. The motor sat for about 30min before I cranked it and it immediatly began beeping.

I also cranked it at the house and it stilled beeped, again from a cold motor to instant beep. Wouldn't the motor have to warm up before the alarm sounded or can it sense a bad thermostat or impeller.

Also what about the small amount of smoke in the oil tank is that normal?

Thanks for the reply

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like the oil warning module has gone bad. Disconnect the tan wire from the module and connect direct to the temp sensor(tan wire also). There should be a Y connection connecting the sensor, the module and the wire to the contoller.