1996 60hp Excessive Smoke

ColdwaterLake3

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
3
I have a 1996 Mercury 60 hp Big Foot. My problem started last summer when I started the motor I got excessive amounts of smoke and it was very hard to start. This only occurred the first time starting after sitting a week. This is not my first boat so when I say excessive I mean it was a lot of smoke. And it was not running as well as it used to. I read thru the postings and tried some of the recommendations all to no avail. I limped thru the boating season with this problem. Now after spending 5 months in storage I found a puddle of 2 cycle oil under the motor. The oil reservoir is empty and from the oil trail it is coming out of a ?Weep? hole on the lower end. There is no oil around the motor or Reservoir. It appears to be going into the carbs and thru the motor. Is this Possible?? What could cause it?? Any help would be appreciated.
 

ColdwaterLake3

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
3
Re: 1996 60hp Excessive Smoke

Ok Update, I Pulled up a wire harness and found some 2 cycle oil under it in the bottom of the motor cover. and when I put the battery in and tilted the motor all the way down Oil poured out of the prop exhaust hole. still not sure what is happening but I guss I need to look some more.
 

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
76
Re: 1996 60hp Excessive Smoke

I have a 1999 60hp Bigfoot with a similiar problem. I have 1 of the carbs where the needle and seat are allowing fuel to enter the cylinder thus creating a (flooded with fuel) hard to start with a lot of smoke (unburned fuel). Sounds like maybe all of your carbs have needle and seat problems. The carbs will have to be removed and the seats cleaned with a spray carb cleaner or spray brake cleaner. Do not attempt to clean your carbs with this stuff with your engine running as it is not mixed with oil and it will score our sieze your pistons or cylinder walls. If you can not save and reuse the carb gasket buy some gasket material at your car parts store and make one.......Tom
 
Top