complicated question!

newfie11

Cadet
Let me start by saying this is my first real boat and I know NOTHING.

I just purchased a '76 reinell 24 ft cabin cruiser with a flybridge. It has a Mercruiser 351w ( 233 ) that has just been rebuilt and runs good. The problem is that the outdrive has been completely removed and discarded. I can't seem to find an actual 233 outdrive used anywhere.

I am trying to figure out what outdrives are compatible so I know what to look for. I know the original gear ratio was 1.32:1.

I am trying to get this thing in the water as inexpensive and as easy as possible.

I have been told to buy a 1.50:1 ratio outdrive and reprop it.

what pitch of prop should I use to compensate for the ratio difference?

What are my options?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

hwsiii

Commander
Re: complicated question!

Newfie, how much HP do you have, I can't seem to find that boat with a 233 HP option. But if that is what you have these are my recommendations for your boat. I am assuming your WOT range is about 4,400 RPM to 4,800 RPM.
Normally with a 1.32 to 1 gear ratio that boat would need a 14" Pitch prop with a total allup weight with people and gear about 5,100 pounds. By changing to a 1.5 to 1 gear ratio that changes your prop to a 16" Pitch for the same performance with the same weight. And with a Prop Slip of about
30% for large cruisers you ought to be doing about 34 MPH at top end speed.

Here are the results of my calculations.

Newfie11Weight.jpg

Newfie11PropPicker.jpg

Newfie11PropSlip.jpg

newfie11

Cadet

Thank you hwsiii
that info gives me a good idea where to start.:D
my wot according to my book is 4,200 - 4,400rpm.
I think your right on for weight though, judging by what the scales say.

hwsiii

Commander

Newfie, since it only turns 4,400 RPM then you will need to change Prop Pitch to 18" for the same weights and speed.

Newfie11PropPicker18.jpg

H

hwsiii

Commander

Newfie have you tried the boat yet, I would like to know what the new numbers are.

H