What happened to boat values?

lovemylake

Cadet
I have a boat for sale that last Aug 2008 had a book value around $15,250. Today I'm getting an NADA of around $12,250. The boat devalued $3000 while in storage? Anyone else see this?

wood_boater

Recruit
Re: What happened to boat values?

Worldwide tough times...people with cash, only buy greatdeals...they're affraid it a'int over yet...relax, it'll come back...but when, I d'ont know.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Funny, I am not seeing the same big drop in used SUV's I was hoping for. I am however seeing some great deals on newer bowriders mostly Bayliners and some others who make their way on to craigslist every day for months. The ad content is starting to get desperate.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you aren't finding discounted SUV's you aren't looking very hard. They are giving them away (figuratively) in the upper midwest. Pickups however seem to be weathering the storm a tad better.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nothing loses value faster than a production boat except a crappy production boat, $3k in almost a year ain't that uncommon, bad market or not.

jkust

Rear Admiral

It seems dealers switched away from SUV stock so they just don't have many around...that is what they are telling me. I went to a Dodge dealer to look at Durango's and they didn't even have any. I am starting to think a private party is the way to go but again there are just very few private sellers. I recall going thru this when I bought my wife's minivan 5 years back. Hardly a private sellers and very few dealer used available. Difference then being everyone moved to SUV's from mv's. I wonder if there is a publication in MN where private parties advertise I am not aware of. Clearly it is not CL since it is dominated by the same handful of dealers.

CATransplant

Admiral

I never look at Craig's List car and truck ads from dealers. Just click Cars and Trucks, then look down until you see the first one from a private owner. Click the cars and trucks - by owner link at the end of that listing and you won't see the dealer listings.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Checking your Nada value is kind of like looking at your 401K balance :eek:

All the more reason to pick up some cool accessories from iBoats and then go to the mechanical forums and figure out how to get yours running in top shape, then just go boating and get every pennies worth out of your current boat!

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few years ago if I saw a deal to good to be true I always figure a scam. Now I just feel sorry for what that family is going through