Oil leak 1974 9.9h seahorse

nusox

Cadet
So here it is. This motor was on it's side all winter. After finally lifting it up on a stand all kinds of water came out and then this oil starting leaking out the drain holes. It does not look like its from the prop but dripping down on it. What do you make of it?

This is a pic from last summer. I meant to post it to find out what this was coming out but never did.

Here are the current pics today

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Oil leak 1974 9.9h seahorse

All the very black stuff is probabaly just partly burnt oil from the fuel but the first picture (last summers) is more worrying. That looks like gear oil. If so you have a seal gone (drive shaft or shift rod)

Check the condition of your gear oil! Did you not drain and refill the gear case at the end of the season?

Read http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

nusox

Cadet

i did not drain or change the gear oil. Is there a guide to doing this? I am very new to outboards. I did just order a service guide for the year of the motor, just waiting for it to get here.

Rick.

Captain

Have a look in the Top Secret File at the top of this forum. I agree it looks like unburned oil and nothing to worry about. Rick.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

It looks like two different issues to me because you have two different colors of oil. The first picture does indeed look like gear oil and gear oil should never be leaking out of your motor. If it does, you most likely have a gear case leak of some sort. You could get your lower unit pressure and vacuum tested to be sure.

The other pictures with the black oil look like unburnt fuel/oil and carbon. This is pretty common and usually nothing to worry about.