Help Before I Fry Something!!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
I have a 87 Starcraft with the original 70hp Johnson on it-
The picture below is my instrument cluster-
I assume the middle gague is a amp/volt meter:confused:
My concern is the 2 months i've had it the arrow has always pointed towards the top (more or less) -- today at the lake it sat at dead bottom the whole time :(
Do i have a electrical problem, i have no idea how it's supposed to read--
Thanks for any help :)

mmm.jpg

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Help Before I Fry Something!!

Trim Gauge? You might have to do some tracing to find out what it goes to.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Did anything not work correctly today (Starting, Fishfinder, etc?)

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

that gauge has no indication what its used for? haha... maybe test your battery and see if its good. if not, check and see where the wires go to from the gauge.

i think its awesome you have a blank gauge on your dash... where can i get one? :D

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

that gauge has no indication what its used for? haha... maybe test your battery and see if its good. if not, check and see where the wires go to from the gauge.

i think its awesome you have a blank gauge on your dash... where can i get one? :D

I'll sell it cheap :D:D:D

No, everthing worked great & i did check my batteries & they were all pretty much fully charged :confused:

rndn

Commander

It looks like a trim guage to me. It would have some kind of gradient if it were an amp guage. It should go up and down with the outdrive/outboard.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If that guage was a voltmeter (or an ammeter) it would have been useless because it has no calibration whatsoever that would be useful. It is very likely a trim gauge. Run the motor up and down through the trim range to see if the needle moves. You can also check the back of the gauge to see if the wires are still connected. If you see a small tube connected to it, it is a water pressure gauge but those were rare in 1987. My guess is that it is a trim gauge.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

That's a tilt/trim gauge. For engines with electric tilt/trim. Some boat mfgs installed them thinking you'd put an engine on it so equiped. Some 80's 70 hp's had it, some didn't. If you have it, there's a spring loaded switch between the engine & the transom on the port side. Nortoriously goes bad. switch's position is adjustable though.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

WOW, you guys are right :cool: (Not surprised, thats why i came straight here :rolleyes:)
Guess i already have a gauge i've thought about adding :redface:
Do we have a "DUH" club ? I think i qualify :D:D
Thanks to all who took time to help!!!