Torching bolts on head

coal duster

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 force outboard 75hp I was needing to know how much torch you put on the head bolts going to install new head gasket?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Torching bolts on head

According to the manual.......serial# 093699 and later is 120 inch pounds plus turn bolt 1/4 turn after reaching specified torque. Up to serial# 093699 it's 225 inch pounds.

NOTE: Torque values are inch pounds not foot pounds.

coal duster

Seaman Apprentice

According to the manual.......serial# 093699 and later is 120 inch pounds plus turn bolt 1/4 turn after reaching specified torque. Up to serial# 093699 it's 225 inch pounds.

NOTE: Torque values are inch pounds not foot pounds.

this is a stupid ? but what is the break down in inch pounds and foot pounds if I have the serial #093699 how may foot pounds?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

1 foot pound equals 12 inch pounds of force. To convert inch pounds to foot pounds, divide the inch pounds by 12. For example, 120 inch pounds equals 10 foot pounds. 225 inch pounds equals 18.75 foot pounds.

Many torque wrenches that are calibrated in foot pounds will not go as low as 10 foot pounds, or if they do, the margin for error is much greater than trying to measure say 75 foot pounds. They're just not as accurate at those low values. That is why it's best if you have a torque wrench calibrated in inch pounds. If there is an AutoZone near you, I believe that they will loan tools for free. Might check out other auto parts places.

The fasteners on most outboards are pretty small so it doesn't take much torque to tighten them down.

If you had serial# 093699 it would be 10 foot pounds plus an additional quarter turn on the bolt.

coal duster

Seaman Apprentice

1 foot pound equals 12 inch pounds of force. To convert inch pounds to foot pounds, divide the inch pounds by 12. For example, 120 inch pounds equals 10 foot pounds. 225 inch pounds equals 18.75 foot pounds.

Many torque wrenches that are calibrated in foot pounds will not go as low as 10 foot pounds, or if they do, the margin for error is much greater than trying to measure say 75 foot pounds. They're just not as accurate at those low values. That is why it's best if you have a torque wrench calibrated in inch pounds. If there is an AutoZone near you, I believe that they will loan tools for free. Might check out other auto parts places.

The fasteners on most outboards are pretty small so it doesn't take much torque to tighten them down.

If you had serial# 093699 it would be 10 foot pounds plus an additional quarter turn on the bolt.
Thank you very much you have been a big help!

coal duster

Seaman Apprentice

OK now everyone will know I'm a complete idiot I don't have that serial number the number that is on my motor is OE251439 do you know what to torch the head bolt on this model