The joys of Sasser infection

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
So on May 1st, I started having this slight problem with the laptop (Windows XP). LSA problem, have to close down, and computer would restart. Pain in the arse, I had no idea what the Sasser virus was, and I admittedly was slack on maintaining my Windows Updates. I paid the price, as it has taken me up to this point to get it off and get my computer useable again. Lesson learned: When the "you have Windows Updates" icon comes up on the bottom, get the updates.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The joys of Sasser infection

Yes Jason but you also need to keep your anti-virus right upto speed as well.<br />We have about 80 users on our network and inspite of the best antivirus software we still get minor attacks from time to time.<br />The attachments on email are where most of these viruses get in from as some AV's struggle to read them properly.<br />I use "Mail Washer" to filter and preview all my incoming mail before it gets to Outlook Express and I find that this helps to eliminate a lot of the junk and spam from the server before it has a chance to do any damage.<br />With Mail Washer or other similar software you are able to minimise the damage.<br />I feel sorry for you though because the viruses surely waste a lot of time trying to repair and restore things afterwards.<br /><br />Throttling the *******'s is probably too good for them however. I believe it should be a sloooooowwww and very painful end for them.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Peter

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: The joys of Sasser infection

I've used mailwasher in the past, pretty cool. My virus program (Norton) updates on its own every time I go on, but Sasser could get around it. The only defense was to have the Microsoft update patch in place to stop it so the virus probram can isolate it. Evil.....