omc shift question

66mstgfsbk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 84 omc 5.0 800 the question that i have is if i change over to a pertronix do i have to do the esa mod to it? im confused since ive been told that the omc that i have is mechanical shift? what exactly does the esa do and what does it look like. when i ran the engine before i tried to put it in gear and it would not engage, i found later that the shift interrupter mounting tabs were broken causing the plate to flop everywhere. i have never fired it up since, doing a floor and transom job, could that not going into gear problem be from something else? thanks again for help.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc shift question

I could wrong here, but I don't think the stock ESA module on OMC will work with an electronic ignition. It's worth some research. Iran into this once on a cobra with an MSD ignition on it. Might be different with the stringer or the Petronics.

James

WizeOne

Commander

I could wrong here, but I don't think the stock ESA module on OMC will work with an electronic ignition.
James

You are correct James, that's why I posted the info in my post above. The stock ESA is basically mechanical grounding switches. The link above is for an electronic interupter.

66mstgfsbk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the clarification WizeOne. my other question that i had is that it would not engage it sounded like a card in bike spokes. could this be caused by by the esa also?

WizeOne

Commander

Not a total expert on the full Mechanical units as mine is the hydro-mechanical unit and does not use the shift interupt system. That being said, in lieu of any other expert opinion, I think the interupt was only for pulling it out of gear but I would get your interupt working first, just in case.

Another thing to consider is your idle speed and your converter box adjustment. If you have given full forward on your throttle/shift lever and all you get is as you describe, then I would vote for the converter box mis-adjustment.