Hey Aluminum Starcraft peoples

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Between work and in my spare moments I have started on my 16 footer. The boat was possibly re-done one time before......

The decking is only 1/2" plywood which is dam soft. Was 1/2" the common (mine is a 66) or was it just a cheap decking installed.

The BEST part of this was the indoor/outdoor carpet which was NOT glued down.

The plan is to to start the OB and see how much that needs. If I can get it purring then I will jump into the redecking etc.

S. Toth

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hey Aluminum Starcraft peoples

post some pics, and keep updated.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Bob, I'm pretty sure 1/2 was the norm. Here's the cabinet makers rule to follow: 1/2" spans 24", 5/8" spans 36" and 3/4" spans 48" under normal shelf load conditions.

If your stringers are spaced at or near 24 and the distance from the stringer to the gunwale is at or near 24 (total width gunwale to gunwale at deck level does not exceed 72") then 1/2" works. Mine was 63" and they used 1/2". I used 3/4 and then had to adjust everything to account for the extra 1/4". Save yourself the extra work and stick with the 1/2 if you can.

P.S. I guess the ice finally melted:)

Bob_VT

Staff member

That is what I was thinking if I went with 3/4 how much of a pain it would be to adjust everything. I am actually planning on 1/2 no that I read that and I have a secret weapon for added strength........ I have access to a 4' x 4' aluminum road sing that I have been saving.

On a good note..... the deck is just about 99% intact so I will have a nice template.

The boat was full of leaves, hooks, life jackets and lots of trash. I shop vac'd the deck off and emptied the stuff out. I found a few warning signs such as an empty tube of bathroom chaulk :eek: lots of broken wires and a good mess for the lights. Like my plans go.... I am going to work on the old merc first...... I even picked up a walk through windshield off ebay that should work fine.

Bob_VT

Staff member

P.S. I guess the ice finally melted:)

FYI :D

4/23/09 local paper

WEST DANVILLE ? This year's betting pool on when the ice goes out on Joe's Pond in West Danville didn't exactly follow the script.

Normally, the clock that's tethered to a 65-pound cinder block placed atop a wooden pallet is tripped when the block falls through the ice, an event that marks northern Vermont's unofficial start of spring.

This year, however, the alarm clock stopped when the ice was blown by heavy winds.

Still, the rules provide that once the clock is tripped, the time is official.

Ash Desmond of Richmond came closest to predicting the winning time of 10:21 p.m. Monday and will take home more than $5,000. Organizer Homer Fitts told the Burlington Free Press that Desmond gets half the earnings after expenses from the 11,401 tickets sold at $1 each.

YES ICE OUT!!!!!! Yes even the stuff in the boat melted out ;)

Bob_VT

Staff member

It will cut way back on the "guesstimates" when I cut :)

John_S

Rear Admiral

The stock deck on our '67 Starcraft was 5/8 ext grade ply. Painted only on top and edges. Replaced it with same. 3/4 would add allot of weight.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

The stock deck on our '67 Starcraft was 5/8 ext grade ply. Painted only on top and edges. Replaced it with same. 3/4 would add allot of weight.

that explains the bump right behind the two front seats on my boat. 1970 16ft closed bow runabout model name unknown.
The rear section is 1/2 inch and it does have some flex with me and i'm only a little over 50 kilos.
jamie

fishrdan

Admiral

if I went with 3/4 how much of a pain it would be to adjust everything.

I used 3/4 decking on my Crestliner rebuild (1/2 decks before and lots of interior parts) and I was surprised I didn't have to adjust too much. The only thing that took a bit of work was finding the proper placement for the consoles on their aluminum legs, so the windshield was aligned properly. Other than that, everything went in without problems. But, I did redesign some of the areas that could have been problems.

Between the extra weight of 3/4 ply and what I didn't install back in the boat I added about 75#,,, which isn't too bad for a 2000# boat.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just tore the original floor out of a 69 Starcraft Holiday 18. The floor is 1/2' plywood made of 4 layers. I am guessing marine ply with thin vinyl glued on for finish.
It was so rotted I cannot even use it for template.
I am going to replace it with regular 5/8 ply glassed over.
And maybe carpet.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Cranked up the OB and got it started..... it needs attention. I will probably rebuild the carbs, do the impellar and go through the whole thing but the good news is I got to hear it run........ :D

Onto the next steps!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bob,

I remember the Joe's Pond ice-out contest. Sure takes me back. If memory serves - I dragged a few nice rainbows out of Joe's Pond as a youngster.

My '85 had 1/2 inch ply. I'm going back in with the same. The way I see it - the epoxy resin on the underside will strengthen it, as will the fiberglass cloth/epoxy on the topside. My main reason for going with 1/2 was to keep the weight down as much as possible. By the time I'm done with everything (including console, bench, and tank cover), there will be 7 sheets of plywood in the boat.

Yeah, the bathroom caulk is never inspiring, especially if it's an empty tube. Uh... unless your 16 footer has a head that you haven't found yet. :p