Honda 9.9 question.....

Fish Chris

Recruit
First let me admit, that I am totally mechanicaly "declined" !<br />I have a Honda 9.9 four stroker. On the top of the motor there is a black, large toothed, synthetic belt (timing ?) and this seems loose to me. There is about 3/4's of an inch play in it. <br />Do these ever jump a tooth ? Or just flat out break ? And if so, would this be catostrophic to my motor ??? <br /><br />Can this be easily tightened, and how would I know how tight was tight enough ?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Fish Chris

Harry Blanchard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda 9.9 question.....

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you need manual to check how much deflection is required. Some are replaced as they wear and some can be adjusted, just not sure on that engine.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 9.9 question.....

The big question here is,Why do you ask? How is that engine running?Yes that belt could jump a tooth or two or break and that could cause some head damage,but this occurance is so rare that you wo'nt even find it on this international discussion board.There is no tensioner on this belt, and to replace it you will need to remove the flywheel and the manual as previously suggested.Service interval for those belts is 5 years but I 've seen alot going strong and looking good after 20.