Interested in a 1976 sea ray; opinions wanted

Rolla91

Cadet
Hi, I've been a member here for awhile but don't post much. I had another boat I had planned to restore but I sort of got hosed on the deal and was sold a boat with a bad motor and drive so I just sold the trailer and have been selling other parts from it.

Locally though I found a 1976 sea ray 21ft with a V8. The asking price is $1600 because the owner says "it has a problem with the propeller". He says it spins fine but it doesn't go up and down, so I'm assuming its just a problem with the trim.

I haven't been able to look at the boat in person yet but here are the pictures I was sent.

I'm planning to call him tomorrow and talk a little more about it, he honestly doesn't seem to know anything at all about it though.

Here are my questions

(1) Where should I look for soft or rotten spots? Or where do they normally develop first?

(2) Can anyone tell me what size motor this is?

(3) Does anyone have a general idea of what a boat like this would be worth?

(4) Are there any particular things I should ask the owner?

Here are the pictures.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg357/uriel_2009/0_IMAGE_026.jpg{/IMG]

[IMG]http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg357/uriel_2009/0_IMAGE_025.jpg

0_IMAGE_027.jpg

0_IMAGE_029.jpg

0_IMAGE_030.jpg

0_IMAGE_032.jpg

0_IMAGE_031.jpg

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Interested in a 1976 sea ray; opinions wanted

1. transom, stringers, and deck or sole. whichever ya wanna call it. look for places that screws have been screwed into the boat. look for rust staines leaking down from the screws. look at the drain hole in the back. a dark stain is rot juice dripping down from inside the hull. it's hard to locate rotton wood. since a lot of it is under the sole (stringers) a drill bit will revel rot too. but ya have to repair the hole. a ice pick can be used. prob in real hard to get to areas. on your hands and knees. low in the back. try to look under the deck if you can.
2. i don't know. a v8 though i'd think. a ford too i'd think since the dist. is in the ft.
3. i don't know. what the market will bear... he's probably in the right price range. but for that little bread. there's something he ain't telling you..
4. google, buying a used boat. there's many list to be found. ask the seller as much as you can. but don't believe any of the answers. don't beleive anything the seller says. he wants to sell his boat. you have to do your own inspections. compression tests, drive pressure tests. feel the gear lub. look at the oil, drive and engine.. when i was buying. i found a 4 page list of things to check. i went through them 1 by 1 in front of the seller. he thought i was out of my mind... i started by crawling on the floor. bow to stern. i found at least one boat that was for sale with a bigh 2' long crack on the underside... guy wanted to know if i wanted a test drive. :eek: i said no thanks. i forgot my pfd... :D

good luck in your adventure..

204 Escape

Ensign

That looks like Kansas Registration, and a Kansas license plate. Curiousity question, where in Kansas is it ?? :confused:

sprintex

Seaman Apprentice

We had a 70, 20'. The transom was rotten when we got rid of it in 1990. They where very heavy boats.

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The seller says the prop spins just fine so I'm sure the rest of the boat is good too.. :) :)

rdj59

Cadet

Hi, I'm not sure if mine was a find or not but i picked up my 74 srv220 for $600 with a nice roller trailer. Check the floor but i bet it will fell solid. It'll have flotation foam under the floor and that will support the floor soft or not. Check the transom from the inside of the boat. If its like mine it'll have a very thin layer of glass so it should be easier to tell if it's shot or not. To be completely honest, mine looked in better shape. If the drive is good and the motor is good/rebuildable. Then ask your self if the boat is a good price to you and if you like the hull well enough to enjoy doing work on it. Odds are when you peek into an area it's going to have an issue and then it'll escalate quickly from there. It looks like it was sitting uncovered which isn't good at all. Id seriously offer him $500 and see what he does. If he freaks out leave your number and walk away. I bet he'll call you in a week or 2 when nobody wants it. The guy i bought mine from was asking 1200 but i offered him 400 when i seen a small amount of water in the motor. He himed and hawed for a little then came back with 700 and i said 600. The rest is history. Even if you like the boat that much there will always be a bigger, better, and cheaper boat out there. Remember it's a buyers market. Parents are looking at a F26 Trojan with a trailer, gps, redone cabin, new deck, new seats, new head and tank, new batteries and charger, and new canvas for 3500. It's also registered till 2011. To top it off the boat runs great also. Just needs a wax and she's ready for the summer. This is all just my couple of pennies.

Jeramie

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like its been sitting outside for awhile, not a good thing for that old of a boat and kinda shows how it was taken care of. Many Ford marine engine parts are no longer available and used parts that old are a real crap shoot.

I would move on, needa chebby engined MerCruiser in a boat someone took care of, somewhat decent old boats can be had for that money IMO.

WizeOne

Commander

.....Many Ford marine engine parts are no longer available and used parts that old are a real crap shoot. .....

With a name like your's W0c, I'm surprised you would have given this advice. Yes, they do not use the Ford motors any longer but there is not one part of that motor that is anymore difficult to obtain than for a 350 Chev. SBF's are much sought after and in many cases (at least on the street) whipping the pants of of SBC's. There are no parts on that basic motor(cam excepted) that are marine specific and all the few specific marine peripherals are readily available.

Other than that, no comment on the rest of the issues beyond the fact that the SeaRay was a very heavy boat and all precautions for old boats should be heeded.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea the exhaust manifolds scared me a bit but me using 6 seconds to plug a few words into google yielded a complete GLM manifold kit with risers for $385, sadly that's cheaper than the stupid single manifold for my chebby straight six which is like $485.
The Windsor in that Sea Ray looks sad and neglected tho, and Fords have been kicking butt on the street and the water ? for some time IMO. :D

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

She looks used and abused. But give her a chance, a good look over may reveal a solid hull that needs some TLC, I'd say it looks pretty rough though.

Ian

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Um, looks pretty rotten to me, looks like it has spent many years open to the elements....I would stay away.

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 77 sea ray 200, with a 305 Chevy, i must say i love my ray..... depending on what kinda shape its in.... i got mine at last august for $1700 with a rolling trailer.... im actually in the process of painting it this weekend :) I must say its definitely a solid boat

P1010448-1.jpg

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ish: you painted the trailer ? It looks nice, did you paint the trailer with the boat on, I am undecided if I should spray or brush/roll my nice but rusty roller trailer. Will be using rust-oleum. Nice looking Ray too looks to be in great shape, love the color almost the same yellow as my Mustang. Is the finish original ? It looks immaculate.

freddyray21

Commander

Searay makes a very good boat. that one does look like it's been outside a bit. seems a bit high to me. bought this one 3.5 years ago for 600 dollars with trailer. It did need a new outdrive though. Had it out today on the river. It's a 1972, but still a sweet boat.

2813262175_d2fc2f5829.jpg

2813261367_830f12dda8.jpg

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^is that little outboard a West Bend ?
Nice looking glassic by the way. :D

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

SBF's are much sought after and in many cases (at least on the street) whipping the pants of of SBC's.
I laughed so much after I read that. A Ford whipping a Chevy oh man that is to funny! That was the best dream you ever had wasnt it.;)(take no offense I drive a Bronco)

I do agree with the guys here, that boat is overpriced.
I sold a boat a few weeks ago with a decent interior(one rip on one seat) solid deck and hull(gelcoat was decent). It did need a new propeller thanks to my in-laws. The boat is at the lake running a few days week since it was bought by my friend. If the prop was in good shape and it wasnt my buddy that bought it I would have let it go for $1500 (he paid much less). Im sure you can find a good boat in your budget. Keep looking you will find it.

freddyray21

Commander

let's not turn this into a ford chevy debate shall we? the next thing you know somebody will start with fond memories of their old Renault (yes they made a boat motor)

let's not turn this into a ford chevy debate shall we? the next thing you know somebody will start with fond memories of their old Renault (yes they made a boat motor)

LOL Sorry i have one of those thank you, but trying to find parts is a complete joke. BTW its in a 71 glasstron, i'll get it redone one of these years. the hull is in great shape but the interior is shot so it will be a complete top off resto, with a new engine and outdrive.

freddyray21

Commander

LOL Sorry i have one of those thank you, but trying to find parts is a complete joke. BTW its in a 71 glasstron, i'll get it redone one of these years. the hull is in great shape but the interior is shot so it will be a complete top off resto, with a new engine and outdrive.

better off finding a used 120 with outdrive.