My gearcase nipple plug and fitting are missing!! Info?

Typenice

Cadet
Hi everyone Im new to the forum. I joined because I noticed that my 1984 Evinrude 90 horse was missing a plug on the top of the gearcase. Its called a nipple plug (Black hard plastic and L-shaped) and there is a fitting that goes along with it and that is also missing. the part numbers are 030549 and 0326266 if that helps any. I would like to know what potential damage I may have caused by running my engine for one day without the nipple plug. Even though I dont know exactly what it does I always checked to see if it was there after each outing. Obviously, some water got in through the hole and im guessing it went into the gearcase somewhere. Im not talking about the lower unit drain plugs by the way. The only thing I can find out about these things on the internet is how to order more of them and I have ordered replacements. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks:confused:

Last edited:

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: My gearcase nipple plug and fitting are missing!! Info?

TD: It's 1A and 1B on the gearcase diagram. A plug and fitting that go into the flange at the top front leading edge of the gearcase. I have no idea what they plug, but its where the gearcase fits into the exhaust housing.

Typenice

Cadet

Yeah CATransplant has got the right pieces. Does anyone know what it plugs and what damage can be done if i ran a day without it?? Any help would be appreciated. :D

Typenice

Cadet

Hey thanks guys wow a speedometer fitting. Seems all i have to do is put in the new fitting to close up the hole. I never ran the speedometer tube from it but I read its good practice to "close" up the hole with the fitting to prevent debris from getting in the gear case opening. Awesome forum you guys have here! .:D