What do you include in your tune up?

dnifedem85

Seaman
I need to have a tune up/preseason maintenance performed on my motor. Its a 1996 Johnson 150hp V6 Carb. What tasks should I have my mechanic complete? He wants to give me "the works" and I am not sure if all of it is absolutely necessary. I replaced the impeller, lower unit oil and spark plugs at the end of last season. Thanks!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do you include in your tune up?

I need to have a tune up/preseason maintenance performed on my motor. Its a 1996 Johnson 150hp V6 Carb. What tasks should I have my mechanic complete? He wants to give me "the works" and I am not sure if all of it is absolutely necessary. I replaced the impeller, lower unit oil and spark plugs at the end of last season. Thanks!

Ask him to specify just what "the works" actually is. Get him to write it down and then post it here. You will get a much more accurate and helpful response this way.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If it is running well I would not even ask the mechanic what he plans to do other than take as much money from your pocket as he can. You did the major stuff already.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I do not offer my customers a "tune-up", I offer a season maintenance as this gets them on a yearly cycle.
My service includes: (2stroke)
compression test, ignition check,timing check/adjustment, engine decarbon, bottle of Quickleen for summer usage, grease all fittings,check/fill power trim, spark plugs, impeller,lower unit oil, and test run @ lake. If I find anything not to snuff I call customer and explain problem.