Just a reminder

puddle jumper

Captain
If you load and unload your boat in salt water remember to wash your rear axle off. On the newer p/u with rear disk brakes the e brake backing plates will rust off in short order. Also your calipers will also seize up.

I had to fix one today and its not cheep.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Just a reminder

Don't have to worry about saltwater boat launching rusting out our auto's here the winter road salt does a good enough job. My 99 Jeep with 178k on it needs 2 rear calipers, rebuilds are $60 each.

In my experience rear disks are much shorter lived than rear drums, many rear drums can do 100k problem free miles before needing service, rear disks seem to be lucky to hit 50k and the rust and pitting that occurs on some disks is downright sad. The rear disks do look nicer on an opened wheeled auto, like my Mustang. :)
Buddies 03 Chev 2500HD rear disks gone at 43k, front pads still at 80%, heard stories of 100k or better out of the front disks on like trucks. Odd reversal of brakes life expectancy.

Late model Ford truck backing plates seem to rust out pretty quick, on the Dana 60 front axles anyway.

puddle jumper

Captain

To be honest i wish they would bring back the old rear drum brakes. I think for truck purposes they are superior to rear disk brakes. But thats just my opinion.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

PJ, I launch in salt water all the time and you're correct, you really have to get after it with the hose. Axle, lug nuts, and those creaky old leaf springs. I blast everything on the trailer.

Also, if you have submersible tail lights that leak (like mine), you might consider pulling out the bulbs and apply a light coating of silicon grease to every piece of metal inside the light housing. It will go a long way in preventing corrosion. Once the corrosion starts it's hard to get it back under control.

ebry710

Ensign

To be honest i wish they would bring back the old rear drum brakes. I think for truck purposes they are superior to rear disk brakes. But thats just my opinion.

I agree. When disk brakes became popular, we all said that the rear brake didn't need them because the stopping power is in the front brake. Now 4 wheel disk brake is a status symbol.

Of course when I get my truck, I am going to put big mud tires on the back and forget the concept of all tires needing to be the same size. I may not be the poster child for modern thinking.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

are you guys dunking your trucks in the water when you launch?