84 2 horse evinrude please help me

ajhmfic

Cadet
i cant keep it running. i can prime it by putting some gas in the top of the piston and it will run for about 5 seconds. i have tried cleaning the carburetor and it still isn't getting enough or any fuel to the top of the piston. i still don't understand how it gets fuel there anyhow. can someone help me out??????:confused:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 84 2 horse evinrude please help me

A little history for us here:
Is this motor new to you? What I'm trying to get at is was it running fine recently, then suddenly quit working, or did you buy it or have it given to you and it has never worked, or it worked 5 years ago, then it was put up for the last 5 years and won't work, or ????
Is there oil mixed with the gas ? (just checking.....)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You "cleaned the carbs" but did you clean the individual jets?

I believe your motor has 2 jets per carb, one is in the bottom of the float bowl and unless you took them out and ran a wire or something through them your carbs aren't clean.

The gas/oil actually comes into the back of the engine and goes through the crank case with the oil/gas lubricating the rods and crank then it is sucked into the ports in the engine and burned.

The piston itself actually opens and closes these ports as it moves up and down, if you turn the engine and look through the spark plug hole you can see these ports towards the bottom of the cylinder.

Order a manual(OMC not Seloc/Clymers or anything on CD) you can get one here at iboats or on Ebay if $ is tight, it shows you exactly how to do this and anything else you could run into on this motor.

You need to check compression and confirm spark first, if you have those two things then move onto gas supply.

Post results here.

ajhmfic

Cadet

i just got the motor a few weeks ago. the guy i got it from took the float and needle valve to put in a different motor so i had to replace them. he said it ran before he put it up but i don't know how long ago that was before i got it. and yes the gas was mixed with oil.
i made sure that it was getting spark and it did run the gas out that i poured in the spark plug hole so i assume it has compression.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with making absolutely certain the carburetor is clear. Taking that as a given, behind the carburetor is a reed plate. It consists of flat spring steel reeds (in a star pattern) with stops bolted behind them. You won't be able to see the stops unless you remove the plate because they will be on the back side. Sometimes if the engine had been stored for a while the reeds become gummed to the reed block and will not allow fuel to enter the crankcase. All you have to do to free them is to gently push them open with a screwdriver. This is a bit rare but it does happen. Good luck!

ajhmfic

Cadet

i figured out why i wasn't getting fuel.. i installed the float upside down. LOL. of course i fixed that, but now it won't stay running. i got it to run for a little bit and was adjusting the lean and rich settings and got it running good but then it died on me as if it ran out of gas but it ran fine for about a minute before it died. i know that i am getting gas for sure. it has done this two times and it seems run when it is cold but when it gets warmed up it dies and doesn't want to start. it also don't want to start in water. i have to start it out of the water which i don't like to do. is there anything else that i need to check or adjust? thank you for your time and help.