Nissan 8hp 2-stroke enough for my cal 27

lumpen5

Recruit
Recently acquired a nissan 8hp stroke log-shaft for my cal 27.

While pulling out of the slip in a blustery marina (wind was reading 5 knots) we were getting blown sideways backing out of the slip (slip points north wind out of the west)

Besides the humiliation of the feeling of losing steerage, I began to wonder if 8 hp 2 stroke is enough ponies for my sloop. The displacement is rated at 6750 lbs.

I am looking at all options of course. The prop is standard issue. The dock-talk is to get a prop with a flatter pitch, prop extender, semi-circle prop casing (like on tug boats!) etc.

Would any options work short of upgrading? And if upgrading is to be the option, what size of outboard (2stroke only please as my outboard bracket is rated only for 2-stroke)

Thanks!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan 8hp 2-stroke enough for my cal 27

No, it's not big enough and there is no two-stroke option unless you go with someone else's previous machine. Minimum hp is 10 hp for that application(15 to be safe), a new auxiliary bracket and a low pitch prop.

lumpen5

Recruit

Elvin:

You seem to be the expert around here. Thanks for the response. I have read on other posts that you can expand these nissan 8hp to 10hp via a carb modification - I believe my model is one of them.

I think that should do the trick with a thrust prop.

I tried to track down the parts/numbers on the other posts but no luck. Is this something I can go to a dealer and ask about and have them understand or is this an "off-warranty fix"

Thanks again

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The mod involves $700.00 in parts...I would urge you to forget about it.

lumpen5

Recruit

$700? I am confused....

I found your post:

Default Re: 1998 Nissan 8 hp (NS8B) restrictor plate
You will need the following three carb parts to turn the 8 into a 9.8:3K9032520M Main nozzle3K9032510M Main jet3K9032540M Slow jet

The parts come to about $50 at www.tohatsu-outboard-parts.com

Does the expense come at labor to upgrade?

Has anyone else done this mod? I would be interested to hear how it went and what was involved, etc.

Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You have managed to combine my post and someone elses post to get the answer you wanted. YOU would need a block. Figure $700.00 for the parts. It's not cost effective.