Old gauge's Junk?

Reboot11133

Seaman
I recently bought a 2008 Merc 4 stroke which came with an analogue tach. I also bought a set of older Faria guages off of ebay. I installed all the guages but the oil pressure and temp guages don't seem to be working. The trim guage works fine. Could this be a compatibility issue or are the guages junk?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old gauge's Junk?

What do you have the oil pressure and Temp gauge "S" terminal connected to? You need an oil pressure sender and the temp gauge cannot be connected to a simple snap switch style temp sender. That type of sender merely provides a ground for the alarm system. Temp senders for an outboard need to be 30 - 240 ohms resistance depending on water temp.

Reboot11133

Seaman
Re: Old gauge's Junk?

The wiring harness from the controller has wires labelled as Temp, Oil etc.
I don't know where these signals originate on the motor as it is a plug and play harness which is designed with the option of using smart guages. I don't have a shop manual for this motor yet so I don't even know where the sender units are located. I guess I could check for resistance between the signal wires and ground, this will tell me if there is a sending unit on the other end of the harness. Any other suggestions?