HELP!! 1980(?) 100 hp Johnson Outboard

shocker73

Recruit
Just bought a 1979 Cobra bass boat yesterday with a 1980 100hp Johnson. When the guy started it in his yard it took just a minute (assumed it was cold) but ran strong once it got going. Cut it off, tried it again and it started right up. Today, I'm getting ready to take it out and figure I'd better start it up in the yard to warm it up before going out. No luck. Motor turns over but won't fire. Checked the obvious - plenty of gas, plugs are good, just bought a brand new battery (500 cca). Any ideas?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP!! 1980(?) 100 hp Johnson Outboard

Shocker 73,
Welcome to the forums first of all. Anyway, tell us exactly step by step how you are cranking this motor over for the first start of the day. Basically when I crank mine over here is how I do my motor:
1. Make sure there is plenty of gas/oil mixture in your gas tank.
2. Pump your fuel bulb up until it is rock hard/solid.
3. Make sure your gas tank cap vent is open.
4. Go up to the throttle control's and raise the fast idle lever up about 1/2 up.
5. Turn the key switch to on and push the key inward toward the front and hold it in about 8 seconds, your basically shooting fuel mixture into the intakes to give a rich starting mixture.
6. Then turn the key on and start her and it should fire over for you and you may need to bump the key in every once in a while until she fully warms up.
7. One more thing make sure the kill switch is in the normal position.
Let us know how it turns out, Bob