Orange/pink vinyl seat stains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I thought I found a boat to buy, but discovered it had weird pink/orange mildew stains, that could not be cleaned up. Here's what the dealer said:

"... the seats will not clean up. I have had several here that were covered under factory warranty that had the same issue. Boats as new as less than a year old including our new $50,000 demo boat. Not just Starcraft, but Odyssey and Godfrey products are having the same problems. Why this boat at 6 years old is having this problem is perplexing, and since the problem IS happening nationwide it's not a local environmental issue. My theory was the dark covers, but after I had a couple problem boats with light covers, that theory went out the window.
What happens is that the vinyl initially gets sticky, like syrup. If the boat is left covered, the orange color gets stronger. When left exposed to the sun, the color goes away, but the sticky gets worse. After a few months the vinyl hardens and gets a yellow color to it. The affected areas are always the horizontal surfaces, not the vertical ones."

So, what's up with the orange stains? Can they be cleaned? How do you clean orange or regular black mildew stains?

Jim

Attachments

• MidAtlanticMarine63.JPG
    MidAtlanticMarine63.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MidAtlanticMarine65.JPG
    MidAtlanticMarine65.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MidAtlanticMarine66.JPG
    MidAtlanticMarine66.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 0

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Orange/pink vinyl seat stains

if it won't come clean my quess it is a defect in the vinyl or some kind of sun aging. either there is not much you can do. Bleach will get rid of black mildew, but also the color.

salty87

Commander

i've heard of problems like that before with new boats. when under warranty, i've read of dealers replacing the skins.

if that dealer says it can't be fixed and the seller isn't pricing in replacements for you...i'd hit the pavement.

mattttt25

Commander

Micro-organism that lives in the cushion. When they get warm and wet, they start to eat and their sh*t is the pink/organge coloring that you are seeing. Don't laugh, it's true.

Many manufacturers deemed this a defect and have replaced vinyl under warranty.

Various sources have said tilex, baking soda paste, or bleach have worked to some degree. Others have stated nothing works.

204 Escape

Ensign

Will a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser work ??

I know they will clean up fiberglass !!!!!!!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

See if you can't get a credit off the price and maybe clean them up really well and paint them with vinyl paint? Search for 'Duplicolor vinyl paint'. Otherwise just move on. May be a great chance to get some major money off a good boat, though.

Opossum

Cadet

Buying foam and vinyl from China is the root. I will bet my boat on it.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

If you have ever taken your seat apart, youll see they use cheap discarded remenants to use as backing and seams(Mine is pink!) this will bleed thru especially if you use a bleach type cleaner. If thats your case, theres really nothing to do but replace it. BeVERY careful and I'd say not to use any cleaner with bleach.

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I dissagree with the above post. I've never seen anything that grows that can't be stopped w/ bleach. I've cleaned waterlogged planes (I know, planes shouldn't be under-water, but it happens) with molding problems in every color. Get alot off the sticker price for the defect, and try to remove yourself. If nothing else, you're out some foam and covers. Cosmetics are cheap as long as the boat is solid. :D

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Various sources have said tilex, baking soda paste, or bleach have worked to some degree. Others have stated nothing works.

I have sticky seats on my pontoon, it was from sitting uncovered at a shop for 5 weeks in the Florida sun....I contacted many companies to see what I could try and clean them with...it was from the previous use of Tilex mold and mildew shower cleaner and being allowed to dry in the sun...I guess the sun breaks down the vinyl .....the Mr Clean magic eraser did not work either......and its only on the horizontal parts of the seat

a buddy bought some miracle sneaker cleaner at a state fair last month and I think it made a slight difference , but it would cost a fortune to buy enough sneaker cleaner to do all the seats, so I just put a towel over them :mad:

salty87

Commander

harsh cleansers and bleach strip protective chemicals out of vinyl making it susceptible to premature aging and failure of the stitching. you might lighten a stain with bleach but you're taking some life out of the vinyl too.

there are companies that make covers for seats. more so for comfort than to hide the seats but they're still hidden. probably not cheap though.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

my gut on this is that some cleaning agent is not playing well with the vinyl. Vinyl is a chemical - certain other chemicals will break it down and make it 'sticky' - a good analogy is pouring gasoline in a styrofoam cup - they dont play well together.

something used on the vinyl is breaking it down

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I would get him to discount the crap out of the boat. Buy it with the knowledge that you will have to get it recovered. Then remove the Vinyl from the boat. Lay them all out in direct sunlight and spray Bleach on them. Wait a few minutes and hose them down. IF that works get some 303 and protect it and enjoy. I have some white seats in an older boat that had a similar issue and that worked.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buying foam and vinyl from China is the root. I will bet my boat on it.

cheep vinyl is the problem.... you can tell from the pics that it is VERY thin. We have good quality UV protected vinyl on our sailboat cousions for 15 years and they still look brand new.

striper2101

Seaman Apprentice

cheap/bad vinyl is the problem. My boat was made by Genmar, not sure which company is behind yours, but I had the exact same problem and finally just had mine recovered. My boat is a 2004 and is covered when not in use. From what I have read, most Genmar boats of this vintage had the vinyl problems. If caught soon enough the warranty took care of it, if not it was tough luck. Nothing will clean it and nothing will get rid of the stickyness. I tired acetone, Mr. clean, bleach and anything else I had and nothing worked so I finally gave up and had them redone.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

I have this same issue. However what I have noticed is that it is part of the vinyl that are in contact with my cover. Anyone else have that? Could it be cause by the cover instead of the actual vinyl going bad?

JETMORE

Recruit

I've Dyed/painted With Lots Of Vinyl/carpet Products And Can Tell You, Use Sem Products Vinyl Paint And You Can Cover Up Anything.

I Painted Some Vinyl Seats That Were A Disgusting Purple Into A Factory Looking White. You Cannot Tell They Were Painted. Follow The Directions, Though. Also, Get Multiple Coats On The Piping Areas And Then Top It Off With The Sem Clear.

Jetmore

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yep, use SEM vinyl dye/paint. These seats were too new to toss, so I painted them white. They were a dark beige. Its been 5 years and they hold up great. It is very important to be sure the surface is CLEAN to get a lasting result. I used a scrub brush and dish detergent, then scrub brush and windex, dry it well and paint away. These two lounge seats (and bases) took 5 spray cans.

317.jpg

Picture 145.jpg

Picture 142.jpg

Picture 144.jpg

Picture 141.jpg

I am currently trying to work with Starcraft Marine about this same problem with my 2005 2210 Starcraft Deckboat, and of coarse they say they have never seen this before,I even attached your post & pictures as well as the pictures of my boat with the identical problem,I sent them pictures with 1/2 the front of the boat exposed to the sun and the other 1/2 after it was covered for 3days,and it is just like yours.(horizontal surfaces only)I thougt it was the covers also as mine are black,so I went to the local boat dealer and they borrowed me a cover to put over the boat cushions and it did the same thing.I contacted Starcraft thru a 800# I was not supposed to have as its a dealer only number and asked about purchasing new cushions (hopefully with some help from starcraft)and they came back with a cost of $5,600.00 to replace them all.(after they said I can't buy direct i need to go thru a dealer)

I am stuck, the boat looks like crap if it covered and gets beat by the sun and weather if its left uncovered.

I have tried 303 cleaners,sealer you name it!!!!

Now what spend the money for new??

Some help from Starcraft would have been nice!!

Larry

I thought I found a boat to buy, but discovered it had weird pink/orange mildew stains, that could not be cleaned up. Here's what the dealer said:

"... the seats will not clean up. I have had several here that were covered under factory warranty that had the same issue. Boats as new as less than a year old including our new $50,000 demo boat. Not just Starcraft, but Odyssey and Godfrey products are having the same problems. Why this boat at 6 years old is having this problem is perplexing, and since the problem IS happening nationwide it's not a local environmental issue. My theory was the dark covers, but after I had a couple problem boats with light covers, that theory went out the window.
What happens is that the vinyl initially gets sticky, like syrup. If the boat is left covered, the orange color gets stronger. When left exposed to the sun, the color goes away, but the sticky gets worse. After a few months the vinyl hardens and gets a yellow color to it. The affected areas are always the horizontal surfaces, not the vertical ones."

So, what's up with the orange stains? Can they be cleaned? How do you clean orange or regular black mildew stains?

Jim

Last edited:

Here are two pictures from my boat problem.[/ATTACH]

Larry(2005 Starcraft 2210 Deckboat)

Jim

Attachments

• Picture 142.jpg
    Picture 142.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.