Flywheel and fingers do not mix.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
over 40 years messing with out boards. 1st serious injury. i slipped yesterday, and accidentally, caught the edge of a running 200hp flywheel. very lucky, only 14 stitches to left middle finger.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Flywheel and fingers do not mix.

Glad you're ok TD.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

OUCH!!! Dang TD!! Glad it was not worse. Sorry to hear that buddy!

tashasdaddy

luckily, i still have they complete finger.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

luckily, i still have they complete finger.

ha ha...( not to make fun of your injury!!)

but that reminds of my dad..A die hard wood worker guy. Basement full of all kinds of furniture making stuff. He left his pinky out a little to far while using the table saw and it got bit. o the tune of just hanging on by the flesh of the far side( went through the bone).

well they re-attached it..and when it healed, it healed stiff....and he wishes that they had just left if off...it drives him nuts because the last joint dont bend !!

so when you say you are glad you have the whole finger still ..made me think of my dad!

those running flywhels are always the best!!!!! better than the 50hp making you an alcoholic!! ha ha ha

bob

coolguy147

Commander

it just reminds all of us that we all should be more careful

when u get a 200hp motor?

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dang it! Sorry to hear that TD! What did you use for anesthetic? Rum & coke ?

Shizzy

Ensign

14 in one finger? Dang! glad you are ok and kept the finger.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

WOW! Sure hope it works right when all healed.When I was a teen we had a wood runabout with a tiller rude electrc start 18.I did the tiller right handed at the time and rode on the rear deck to steer.Had the cover off just touched the flywheel teeth with my elbow.YOW! I no stiches required but I put the cover on and learned to drive left handed.

CATransplant

Admiral

That's a nasty accident. I hope it heals up quickly and well.

It's a good time to remind everyone about spinning parts on our outboards. It's so easy to have a lapse of attention and get injured. I'm reminded of something my father told me when I first started using a table saw. He said, "Son, every time you start to push a board through that saw, say to yourself, 'that saw can take my fingers right off.'"

Since my Dad was always a wise man, I said that to myself everytime I used a table saw, and extended it to all other power equipment. So far, so good. Once you start saying something like that regularly, it becomes a habit. I can't use any power tool now without hearing that warning in my head.

Shizzy

Ensign

That's a nasty accident. I hope it heals up quickly and well.

It's a good time to remind everyone about spinning parts on our outboards. It's so easy to have a lapse of attention and get injured. I'm reminded of something my father told me when I first started using a table saw. He said, "Son, every time you start to push a board through that saw, say to yourself, 'that saw can take my fingers right off.'"

Since my Dad was always a wise man, I said that to myself everytime I used a table saw, and extended it to all other power equipment. So far, so good. Once you start saying something like that regularly, it becomes a habit. I can't use any power tool now without hearing that warning in my head.
you too huh? I hear my Dad's voice every day. he was always telling me ways to work smart instead of just throwing muscle aroud.

freddyray21

Commander

glad too the finger is fine now. got a scar on mine from a table saw I got too close to my self.

iwombat

Captain

Middle finger of left hand.

Yep, I've been trying to get rid of mine for years. Seems like that one is always in harms way.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, since I'm left-handed, the middle finger on that hand used to get me in all sorts of trouble. I'm older now, though, and it hasn't caused me much trouble for quite some time. :D

jonesg

Admiral

ouch! I didn't know you could fit 14 stitches on one digit.

I work with knives all day, when I was being trained I was told I'm only going to get injured if I'm tired or stressed, haven't ever cut myself yet in 40 yrs, but I dropped a knife into my foot.

Ouch is right!!! Whew, 14 stitches..... Wishing you a speedy recovery tashasdaddy.

tashasdaddy

thanks, today went pretty well. just a little throbbing occasionally.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

sorry to here that tash ,
when did ya start buying the big ones lol