HB 700 series--Fish ID On or OFF

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've read on a few HB forums there's been an substantial improvement in the programing algorithms used to ID fish in the newer Humminbirds and since I recently purchased a 797 and I'd like to hear from users who have been using the Fish ID ON.

Yes I recall turning this feature off on older units both HB and Lorance but I read this may not be a smart move on the newer HB units with the latest Firmware/SW/HW updates?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: HB 700 series--Fish ID On or OFF

See: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=297119 about an update to the 2D S/W. Even though your 797 is "new", it probably doesn't have this S/W, which was released after final 797 production. It does not have anything to do with fish id.

I do not use Fish ID.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

See: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=297119 about an update to the 2D S/W. Even though your 797 is "new", it probably doesn't have this S/W, which was released after final 797 production. It does not have anything to do with fish id.
I do not use Fish ID.

I DL'd the latest firmware after I received the unit and read most of the documentation...it was a major update for sure, there were several subsequent posts related to the ID and most seem to think the ID system had improved. Have you had a chance to compare it turned on and off over the same area at roughly the same time and apparently setting the sensitivity is especially important..from the manual anyway:
======
Fish ID Sensitivity:
Fish ID Sensitivity adjusts the threshold of the
Fish ID+?detection algorithms. Selecting a higher setting allows weaker returns to
be displayed as fish. This is useful for identifying smaller fish species or baitfish.
Selecting a lower setting displays fewer fish from weak sonar returns. This is helpful
when seeking larger species of fish. Fish ID Sensitivity is used in conjunction with
Fish ID+?. Fish ID+? must be On for Fish ID Sensitivity to affect the ability of the
Fishing System to identify sonar returns as fish.
=====

I have several places (when our water temp gets above 39-40 any day now) and I will try it and report my results, hope you get a chance also since your obviously senior to me in it's capabilities. thanks

=m=

John_S

Rear Admiral

I haven't used the fish id ever, on the 797. Stopped using it on older units, and became habit. Nothing wrong with you trying it out, though. I am watching the weather and NY Susky river levels. Sunday could be a possibility. 1st splash of the year.