Boat Drive way.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
I park my boat on the side of the house. All the grass died there since there was not enough sunlight. The grass also died because of tracking in and out with boat and truck. I finally gave in and made it into a gravel side yard. What a world of a difference. It's nice and tidy looking and no more tracking the dirt into the patio or house or boat for that matter.

I would like to keep grass in front of the side yard gate but I don't think it will last if I re sod cause thats where the rear truck tires sit while setting the hitch.

Anyone have any pointers for the front of gate area. I was thinking pavers...

I think I'll try the grass for now and see how that goes...

thanks!

zach103

Commander
Re: Boat Drive way.

Got any pictures.. im planning on doing this for a summer project

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Keep the side of the house from falling off or the boat from falling off? I park my boat at the back of my house. Last year the back of my house fell off. Well i now have it held up with tie-downs. I have a few hundred tie-downs that i play with. One time i went to the lake and it was gone. So i play with tie-downs now and i use them to hold up the house. Someone knows what im talking about. If you read the thread about the lake being gone and the lack of tie-downs let me know!

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Got any pictures.. im planning on doing this for a summer project

I have a couple of during pictures. I'll take some after pictures later this week and post up. I'm glad I did this now and not in the summer. Oh dammmmm..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I had the same problem (not the house falling down :D) . I had 8 tons of crushed #57 limestone hauled in and spread. That took care of that problem.

Before hand, I had some of those brick sized pavers. I made a pad out of them for the trailer tires to set on. By spring, the weight of my boat pushed them under the ground. The following year, I used solid cement half blocks. They worked better having a larger footprint than the brick pavers. But they still ended up being smooshed down in the ground, but not near as the disappearing pavers. Got tired of the the situation and one year I dug a ditch and put in drainage line. Then I had the limestone dumped and leveled out. I have no more problems.

As for your area between the gate and your drive, I suggest using the largest pavers to give a bigger surface area to prevent them from being smooshed down into the ground. You may even have to double layer them to prevent the weight of your rig breaking them. Or just pour some concrete. Good Luck lmannyr................SS

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been thinking of something similar. My thought was to dig out the dirt some so I could put in concrete blocks with the voids or openings facing upwards. Then I would fill them with concrete with a lot of aggregate mixed in.

In light of your problem with the soft ground you might want to put some gravel or sand under the blocks.

Another approach might be to put what I have heard called a french drain in. This would be a trench filled with gravel around the area that would channel the water away from the area.

Just my thoughts - not an expert.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

For soft ground....... lay out some geotextile stabilization fabric under everything. This will help with soft ground problems