Our Momma Cat has died.

Tyme2fish

Commander
Cricket, aka Momma Cat, passed away this morning at 10:30 AM. She gave 20 years of happiness and joy to those of us that served her.

Dogs have owners and cats have staff. We were her staff. My adult boys, now 26 and 27,
were only youngsters when she came into our lives.

She wandered here from our neighbor about half a mile north of us when she was barely weaned. She was smaller than a tea cup and infested with fleas. We cleaned her up and nourished her and she remained with us for these past 20 years.

Although her name was officially "Cricket" we always called her Momma Cat. She had one litter and then she was fixed.

One funny story: She was very protective of her 'turf". Two years ago at our annual party, she ran after a hound dog around the post in our garage to defend her territory. If we only had a video camera operating, I'm sure we could have won a prize in America's Funniest Home Videos.

nlain

Commander
Re: Our Momma Cat has died.

I am sorry to hear of you loss and I have a good idea of how difficult it is right now. We lost one a few years back after a little over 21 years, her name was Turkey, the name fit by the way. Even though you are their staff the become one of the family and it really hurts to lose them. We only had the one at the time, after about a year we started looking for another, now a few years later we have rescued three, the most recent is still trying to get settled in and accept those whose territory she invaded. Still miss Turkey there will never be another one like her.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Sorry for the loss. Pets become a part of the family I think.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I am very sorry for your loss.she must have been a wonderful part of your family.Not many get the memories of 20 years.You are very fortunate and you must have taken very good care of her.One of my 2 cats is in the hospital so when I pray for her today,I will also be sure to say a prayer for your "Momma".Sincerely Charlie

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Sorry for your loss T2f. There is a sadness and void left that only time will heal. May her memories keep her with forever.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

she may be gone physically, but the memories will carry on for the rest of your life. it is like loosing a family member.

pduquette

Ensign

Sad to hear , I'm sorry for your loss . I've had several pampered pusses over the years , the oldest 18 years . Care to share a cute picture ? peter.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Tyme I'm really sorry to hear that, I feel for you. I know exactly how you feel....we lost our family cat (almost 20 years old) last wednesday and had the Vet put her down here at the house. Its heartbreaking stuff, it really is and they do become full members of the family.
Again, sorry to hear it, I fully understand the loss. Hopefully you had some good pics and videos of her to remember her by.
BP

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There are just some things in life we all go through ........ we all hate them but we have to go through them.

Sorry for your loss. I have lost many perfect pets over the years and it always sucks.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear that T2F. I have an old gal too. She has been with me for nearly 17 years. She is in surprisingly good health for her age, but I know her day will come in the next few years.

I think you are right about cats ruling the house too. Mine surely does. That's ok, though - I live in the south and an occassional palmetto bug in the house is inevitable. She may be a senior citizen cat, but she can still catch one of them in a heartbeat, so she earns her keep!

ziggy

Admiral

my condolences too. they are family for sure...

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to Hear about your loss. Here a picture of my buddy that passed about 4 yr. a go

Attachments

• terry's cat.jpg
    terry's cat.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

T2F, sorry for the loss. Several years ago we lost our 19-yo cat and it was quite emotional. However, we had gotten a kitten a couple of months before the demise of the older cat. It didn't fill the void, but it was a great diversion from the saddness. Kittens can be entertaining.