1995 175HP Evinrude Intruder Serious Worries

big un

Cadet
I am new to this site, 1st time actually but I need a little advice. Today while on the water running somewhere around full throttle ( i have a hot foot if that ends up mattering) While heading back up the lake I noticed a decrease in power which got worse and worse and worse, then it shut off. I happened to look up and noticed my fishfinder had went black, so I shut the ignition switch off, turned back on my fishfinder and the motor fired right back up. Went to take off and it died again but no more electrical issues. Again, it fired back up went on plane then lost power again them died. I also noticed it sounded a little funny too like a little clicking (wouldn't call it knocking) but the boat vibrated too while trying to give it gas???? Any ideas? My friend suggestion, who was with me, that it was the power pack but the 1st electrical shutdown made me concerned but it never happened after that. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 175HP Evinrude Intruder Serious Worries

I had a similar experience last year when i chunked all my gears out of my gear housing. Don't know why your depth finder would go black, but those motors have a slow safety deal on them. The motor might have went into slow. My motor was trying to overrev so the slow kicked in and i could only go 2500 back to the ramp and my motor was clicking and vibrating like crazy.

This might not be your problem, but it sounds similar.

I have the same exact motor as yours and i have this crazy acceleration problem with mine. I'll run around for awhile, then the thing starts lean sneezing and it wants to stall when you get in the gas. Its really starting to drive me crazy.:mad:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Sounds almost like it was overheating, but I would guess that an alarm would go off if that were the case...

big un

Cadet

Yeah, the whole depth finder thing blew my mind. It even caused the one on the bow to go black as well but both came back on when I hit the power button. Would blowing the gears out do that? The prop was still turning fine; so it seemed??? UGH!

big un

Cadet

Also, no alarms went off

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, the whole depth finder thing blew my mind. It even caused the one on the bow to go black as well but both came back on when I hit the power button. Would blowing the gears out do that? The prop was still turning fine; so it seemed??? UGH!
Did it stall and spit or just shut down after you got back on plane? When i spun my gears it got on plane then a horn went off and it shut down. You should have a horn that would sound if it overheated. You could have simply spun a hub, but your electrical shutting down sounds like overheat.

big un

Cadet

Did it stall and spit or just shut down after you got back on plane? When i spun my gears it got on plane then a horn went off and it shut down. You should have a horn that would sound if it overheated. You could have simply spun a hub, but your electrical shutting down sounds like overheat.

To the best of my knowledge it just shut off. Actually the RPM's started dropping til it shut down; almost like I was letting off the gas but I wasn't. After the first shut down I noticed it didn't want to crank. Seemed like battery was drained but the next time I turned the key it fired right up.......No problems at all. But no buzzer came on / horn. Earlier in the day I turned the key and it buzzed once for a split second then shut off immediately but this was two hours before this happened.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

To the best of my knowledge it just shut off. Actually the RPM's started dropping til it shut down; almost like I was letting off the gas but I wasn't. After the first shut down I noticed it didn't want to crank. Seemed like battery was drained but the next time I turned the key it fired right up.......No problems at all. But no buzzer came on / horn. Earlier in the day I turned the key and it buzzed once for a split second then shut off immediately but this was two hours before this happened.
It overheated, check your gear case. Spin your prop, if you hear something out of the ordinary, well thats bad news. It definitely went into safe mode, sounds just like what happened to me. Bad part is your horn never went off, thats not good.

big un

Cadet

and exactly how much was the repair cost?

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

and exactly how much was the repair cost?

I tore all three gears out of mine and i tore up the housing itself. I had a guy rebuild mine for around 1200 bucks. Thats cheap compared to what some want to charge. Best thing to do is pull the gear case oil plug and see if any chunks come out or a lot of metal shavings. If you have to rebuild, check with several local guys, their prices will vary so you can save some doe by shopping. Its a expensive repair, bad way to start out your season, if it turns out to be the gears.

big un

Cadet

Well I had the chance to spin the prop this morning but noticed no strange noises. I took the prop off with no signs of metal shavings anywhere. Also yesterday when this happened, the motor was peeing properly because that's the first thing I checked for after this first happened. Could this still have been related to an overheat issue? Tomorrow is Monday so I will take it in tomorrow, I'm just trying to get some peace of mind before hand. Like he said, way to start the season.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

No metal in the gear oil? I'm assuming you pulled the drain plug?