Need your help on this!!!!!!!!!!!

running cougar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1960 johnson seahorse 5.5hp. Ok i can not get the lower unit off to save my life. I really need your help on this. If you could post pictures of how to do it or tell me where the part is that get the lower unit to drop completely off. Please help me.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Need your help on this!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to pull the powerhead on that motor in order to remove the gearcase. This is so because there is no link in the shift rod at the junction of the gearcase and the midsection. The only way to free the shift rod is to access it from the inside of the midsection, at the interior end of the shift handle.

I recommend that you buy a service manual for your motor, so that you have exact instructions. The job really isn't all that difficult, but having a manual to refer to will save you alot of time and help you to do the work properly.

Manuals are available right here at iboats.

running cougar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could you send me a picture of what you are talking about? I have never done this before and dont want to mess anything up. thx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sure! This gent would be happy to remove the power head (the engine), take a picture, send it to you, and then reassemble the whole works just so you don't have to buy a service manual. Did it occur to you that maybe he knows how to do this and doesn't need a manual himself and that's why he recommended you get one?

running cougar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ment as an attachment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt mean as take the powerhead off and send it to me. Please only respond if you are here to help me. I really dont appreciate rude comments.

CATransplant

Admiral

Too many steps to list here, and taking the pictures would mean someone had to take their outboard apart to take them.

Go to your local library and ask for books on outboard motor repair. If you live in a large town or city, they will have a book that will show you, step-by-step how to do the job.

We really try to help people here, but there's only so much we can do, especially for beginners. That's why there are recommendations all over this forum that owners get a service manual for their outboard.

The job you're doing isn't that hard, but there are a lot of steps to it, including a carbon bearing at the top of the driveshaft that has to be dealt with on that model. Without photos, it's hard to describe, and nobody's going to take their own outboard apart to take those photos for you.

You might search in google for your outboard. Someone may have posted the instructions somewhere, but getting a manual is a must if you're going to maintain and repair your own outboard.

CATransplant

Admiral

I ment as an attachment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt mean as take the powerhead off and send it to me. Please only respond if you are here to help me. I really dont appreciate rude comments.

Hmm...to take the pictures you need, someone would have to take their own outboard apart and take the photos. Nobody's being rude. They're just telling you to go get the workshop manual, where you'll find those photos, plus step-by-step instructions. The manuals are available for sale on this site.

Everyone who helps people here is a volunteer. Nobody is paid. You're asking someone to work a couple of hours to take the photos you need. And those photos are already in those shop manuals.

I suggested your local library. You can borrow a manual there. If your library doesn't have it on the shelf, they can get it for you in a day or two.

running cougar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I figured it out thanks for the help everyone!

jonesg

Admiral

I would want the factory service manual to get it back together again.
You'll save a ton of money with the book.
All the best.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I actually do have a 1958 Johnson 5.5 hp motor that is apart. I could drag the bin that it is in out from under my shop bench, pull all of the parts out of the bin, stick the shift handle back in the exhaust housing, reinstall the lever/bushing assembly, hook the shift rod to that, take a couple of photos, drop them in an editor to adjust exposure and bump the contrast up a bit for a sharper view, drop the photos into photobucket and then come back here to create a post with links to the photos. At the end of it all, you would have a couple of nice photos that would show you exactly what you found when you took the motor apart.

I know you feel that folks jumped on you a bit, but the advice that I gave you really was in your best interest. OEM service manuals are not particularly expensive and they eliminate the vast majority of questions that most "do it yourselfers" will have. They also prevent alot of heartache by keeping you from doing things incorrectly.

Do yourself a favor, invest a few bucks in a proper manual. From that point, we can better assist you by answering a question here and there, that the manual might not cover.