5hp Seaking

Ktor

Recruit
Gentlemen, greetings for a newbie to the forum. I just picked up a old Sea king 5hp that I have not got a clue about. Based on other postings, my
35GG-9015A 474116 is a 1953 model?

I know little about outboards but am sure I need to get new coils, condenser, likely new points and I suspect an impeller just to get it to run. Can you advise me whom the manufacturer is, the oil mixture(and type), and where I might pickup a pull starter unit that is missing. It is missing a number of mounting screw (the previous owner tried to fix it and lost the mounting screws for the fuel tank and top unit ....dah..) but I take it they should be a standard thread..?.. Anyhow it is a really cool engine in otherwise good shape.

Looking forward to hearing from the wealth of knowledge out there.

Thanx in advance,

Ktor

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 5hp Seaking

1953 5hp built by Gale for Montgomery Ward. Gale was a division of Johnson/Evinrude so many parts will be the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is a Gale model 5D10, and they made a ton of them. At the same time Johnson made ten tons of their TN-xx motors, and they shared the same neutral-clutch lower unit. That means the water pump is the same--and obsolete. But a 5.5hp impeller will fit if you ream out the center hole .010" oversize. 5.5hp impellers are available here at iboats. The 5D10/TN-xx drive shafts are different to accomodate the different powerheads, and the Johnson shift cable is longer to reach the knob on top of the gas tank.

The motors also share the same OMC Universal Magneto which was used for many, many years (parts are availabe here at iboats).

Recoil starters are the same, except for the different shape of the housing.

Carburetors are extremely different, as are the powerheads.

Do yourself a big favor and get a parts list for your Gale. A lot of parts are still available from Evinrude dealers if you know the part number. But he likely won't have the book to look them up.

Ktor

Recruit

Thanks to both of you but especially FR for the indepth break down of the essential part replacement hints.......priceless advice. Looks like it is time to do some parts shopping!

Ktor