HELP! Water pump rebuild question

Thump05

Cadet
So I got my service manual today and started on the waterpump rebuild. Put everything together and slid it down on the shaft. But, I cannot get it to go over the woodriff key! The old impeller used an actual key with an actual slot in the impellar. This one has a woodriff key that looks like a half moon and the impellar just has a ridge in it. I cant even get the impellar to go over the key with it out of the housing, just trying to push the impellar over the key. Is there some trick here that I am missing? Also, the service manual says the impellar turns clockwise ( i assume that means from looking at the top) but the picture in the waterpump diagram shows the woodriff key going the other way where it would turn counter clockwise. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

1984 Evinrude 140
JB

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP! Water pump rebuild question

If the driveshaft has a slot, then you will need to reuse the key. If the driveshaft has the flat side, use the teardrop. In either case, the impeller goes on and then the cover is forced down on the impeller while turning the driveshaft clockwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1c4oYpHAw&feature=related

Attachments

• Teardrop impeller key.jpg
    Teardrop impeller key.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0

Thump05

Cadet

Thanks ezeke! That is what I needed. Now if I could just get the shift linkage to line back up :mad:

JB

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The offset on the shift rod needs to be facing forward and in neutral.

The shift rod needs to be set at 21-27/32" for longshaft or 26-27/32" for Xtralongshaft +/- 1/32". That is measuring from the gearcase mating surface to the center of the hole at the top of the shaft.

Be sure that the shift rod seal just under the lower cover is in place or water will splash up into the engine.

Rick.

Captain

Regarding impeller direction. It turns the same direction as the flywheel with the fins/blades following. Rick.