Rust on cylinder walls...now what?

asubrew

Cadet
I followed your advise so far and got the heads off. There is a little rust in 4 cylinders and 2 are rusty. Right now it is soaking in ATF and Marvel's Mystery Oil. I have a Crank Turner (fits on harmonic balancer)on the way if you recommend to try to break her free.

What can I do to remove the rust? Sandpaper, emory cloth, scotch pads, etc? By the way, this engine has under 70 hrs with new cylinders and total rebuild before the water got in through the carb. Not all cylinders are horrible, just two.

What's next? Thank you in advance.

I bought the boat for $500 bucks...so I am trying not to dump a ton of money into this OMC outdrive.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Rust on cylinder walls...now what?

First degrease the cylinders completely and then pour Coke or Pepsi in the bores for a few hours. Remove that, and hone them out with a cylinder hone on a drill till it is shiny in there again. The rings, if not stuck in the piston grooves, will reseat to the new surfaces. This is not the "right" way to do this but it will get you going cheap like you asked.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

clean with WD-40 and Use Hone Drill to clean and remove glazes.. it will be all good.. make sure u Dip Piston and new rings in OIL before install in Cylinder wall

chiefalen

Captain

Nope on the coke and pepsi. Thats good for exterior bolts that are rusty, PB blaster and let it sit and pb balster again.

Next time keep the old thread or link it to the new thread.

chiefalen

Captain

You didn't pull the motor? Still sitting in the boat? See i didn't read your old thread. So i went and read it before i posted again in this thread.

Pull the drive might be whats frozen. But if this was my motor and i was going to try and save it i would yank the motor and then turn it over and see what happening on the bottom end.

You don't have to pull the the drive to pull the motor. This is a stringer.

This is how to remove motor without removing the drive on a stringer.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=280334

fraannk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same thing going on with the thread "submerged engine". There was only a little rust in the cylinders but I found out the rust came from the oil scavenge rings. The scavenge rings are very thin metal and they must rust really easy. The motor would not have lasted very long with the rusted scavenge rings breaking up and going throughout the engine.

If you have rust in the cylinder... your bottom ring is probably rusted solid.

asubrew

Cadet

Thank you for your help.

I am thinking the bottom end is okay because the oil in the sump is nice and clean with no signs of water or gas.

I will use the instruction to remove the motor and take it to the machine shop and hopefully not have to pay too much.

What tests can I do on the drive before spending any more money on the motor? I want to make sure I am not spending all this time on the motor when the drive might not work.

Thoughts?

chiefalen

Captain

You can get a manual and take the water pump out, you can check to see how the gears and pump shafts look.

Hows the ball gears? When you yank the motor you will see the coupler and drive shaft, hows the splines look on both.

You can grease what got to be greased.

You could do a pressure test before you even touch the drive.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=255152

Heres the tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part...d=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:10|39:1|240:1318

You can mess with the tilt.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=259807

Anything else you want to know just ask. This should keep you busy a little while.

asubrew

Cadet

Thank you. That should definitely keep me busy for awhile...