Project complete...finally

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Been a while since I bought you up to date with my new grow tunnel.
Been busy, and hot, and the camera failed so it took some weeks to get time to get to town for a new one.

This is where I left off last year.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277613

UPDATE
We then built the interior tables....10 of them, each 3 levels high

001-3.jpg

then had to put caps on both ends of 550 grow channels, with silicon smoothing it around with a finger (damned near wore out the 1st finger on L hand after that....and I am not kidding either!!)

005-2.jpg

Channels turned up
002-1.jpg

hand unload.
005-3.jpg

All in place
Irrigation took some doing.
Have a 4mm tube into every channel.
Standing in the sun for 10hrs at a time was tough.
003-5.jpg

unbelievably hot...thank goodness I didn't put the cover on till last.
001-5.jpg

Cheers
Phillip

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Project complete...finally

Great job! ... what the heck is it?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Now with the cover pulled over. (was like a giant 1 piece envelope, with wind up sides and mesh vent walls, doors and top end vents. Big job....I assisted the installers....would never have a crack at it myself).
007-1.jpg

Cheers
Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

many weeks later, this is basil on the top level
002-3.jpg

lemon basil on middle level
003-6.jpg

lemon grass
004-4.jpg

tarragon in back, oregano in front
005-5.jpg

basil
front ready for tomorrows pick
006.jpg

remains of last weeks pick....basil....as they are so close together, some don't get enough light, so we leave them, spread them out, for 7 days and they grow to acceptable standard.
007-2.jpg

Cheers
Phillip

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice going phil, hard work looks like, best wishes for your success.
PH.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Phil - Haven't seen you on for awhile, hows things down under?
Is that some type of hybrid system? Looks almost hydronic(sp?), yet I see plants are in pots.
And how did you make out with your troublesome employee from last years posts?

puddle jumper

Captain

That's go big or go home. Nice job IL have to show my wife your green house set up.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi phil......really looks good.....

but....uh.....im just wondering......uh......well....

did you photoshop the tomato and basil plants in there to cover up your real crop?????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lot of work, but looks like it will pay off.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Job well done Phil ! What do you use to start your seeds in? I've seen those Grodan blocks and thought about using them in to get my starts going. Bet your glad that project is done. Best wishes on having many bumper crops..........SS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow that looks great.

So the plants on the lower level get enough sunlight even with two levels above them?

I like the pipe system and I can see whete you could wear out a finger :)

How do you water everything?

It all looks amazing to me.... but then again I live in a place where the sun rarely shines and we have a very short growing season.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Phillip.

The 2nd set of photos makes all the difference. Guess I posted right as your were adding more.

Would you mind sharing how that type of business works? I don't mean to pry, I have always wondered how the profit versus time works out for selling crops. Do you sell to grocery stores or restauraunts? If you have a link to a site which covers all of this, I would appreciate it. It sounds like a much more stable career. I'm always looking to get out of web development (IT in general) and back to my roots (raised on an angus farm). It's just tough to find a different career which pays as well and has any kind of security (not like IT has any security at all).

Thanks,
Lowkee

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great job. Wishing you success with it.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nice growhouse Kiwi..

All natural sunlight or any high spectrum HID lighting?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Phil - Haven't seen you on for awhile, hows things down under?
Is that some type of hybrid system? Looks almost hydronic(sp?), yet I see plants are in pots.
And how did you make out with your troublesome employee from last years posts?

Yes, my invention. My old system is double decker, then built a trial tunnel house at 4 decker. From what I learnt I built this one.
Yes, it is irrigated by hydroponics system, but I use pots with traditional potting mix, so it is a real hybrid set up. I sell a pot plant, than you can transplant from, or just cut the leaf off for cooking etc. I would guess others do it....I have never seen them.
Yep, that worker is still here. Got him new shirts, paid him to buy socks and underwear, and are still waiting for him to tell us what colour work trousers he will wear....not going to happen. The smell is down most days. I just haven't the guts to fire him, so I live with it.

Cheers
Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

hi phil......really looks good.....

but....uh.....im just wondering......uh......well....

did you photoshop the tomato and basil plants in there to cover up your real crop?????

Nope.
That's my crop.
Not too bad is it.
Cheers
Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Job well done Phil ! What do you use to start your seeds in? I've seen those Grodan blocks and thought about using them in to get my starts going. Bet your glad that project is done. Best wishes on having many bumper crops..........SS

I have tried all sorts of materials, and the best always seems to be the traditional potting mix.
I am currently trial-ing a product called grow wool just to see if I can do it better or not.
If ever you need a few hints on raising seeds, let me know.
Cheers
Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Wow that looks great.

So the plants on the lower level get enough sunlight even with two levels above them?

I like the pipe system and I can see whete you could wear out a finger :)

How do you water everything?

It all looks amazing to me.... but then again I live in a place where the sun rarely shines and we have a very short growing season.

Got to be very careful what I grow on lower levels, and how long I leave them there.
Watercress will grow on the bottom, if i double space it, and 3 weeks later plant new pots in between, then pick 1st planting at 5 weeks. American Upland Cress, Mizuma are ok too, but must be picked when ready.....leave for another 2 weeks and they 'stretch'. Chives go well, but lean over to light, so move them out 1 week before pick and they straighten up.
I showed photos of middle beds.....secret seems....when they are ready, get them out and sell them.

I have an 8,000L tank and a 150lpm pump (volume, not pressure).
Water has fertilizier added.
Goes out thru a sand filter, thru 40mm (50mm = 2"), then sized down on each table till it finally goes thru a 4mm pipe to each channel (pipe).
Goes down the channel, and each individual pot sort of creates a dam 10mm high, so water can't pass till it goes over 10mm. At end of channel, it goes in to a drain, and sent back to the tank.
When really hot, I irrigate for 15mins on, then 15mins off.
Cheers
Phillip