2 questions on 9.9

Bought this motor last fall (9.9 early 90's Johnson)and have 2 problems. First it runs great but smokes WAY more then it should especially at high ideal and does not stop.Almost like it would when starting it up after a good fogging but keeps going.After running I get the gray sludge stuff leaking out the exhaust.Tried leaning it with the knob on front of motor but just wanted to die if moved to much.Second problem is water is not draining from it completely.In order to drain completely you have to have it unmounted from boat and turn it over or should I say on it's side and as soon as you rotate it on it's side the water comes out the exhaust holes just under the head.When running has strong pee stream and water comes out exhaust holes when warmed up and running.Water drains out bottom drain hole near in front of prop when off and pulled from water.Like I said motor runs great but these things are not right.HELP...ANY IDEAS??????Are the 2 related????

Rick.

Captain
Re: 2 questions on 9.9

Are you using a 50/1 gas mix with marine grade oil? Many have said synthetic oils produce less smoke. You might want to do a decarb on it with seafoam. Also check to make sure you are running the right spark plugs.
As far as the water goes you need to check that the intake screen is clean and the leg drain hole(s) are free of obstruction. I can't think of any other reason for it not draining in the upright position.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you don't give the age of the motor, but doing a decarb should clean up the motor and smoke.
Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

i have found rather than taking the motor off, tilt the motor all the way up then back down, it should drain.

Thanks for the response. I did do a decarb kinda like you describe.I took I can seafoam in a about 3/4 gal of gas mix and ran it.Still smokes bad.What I will do is redue the decarb process with sea foam in gas then then buy some seafoam deep creep to spray in carb and plug holes.Hopefully that will clean it up.It's winter here so I have to do it in a barrell so I know I will get more smoke then out on the lake but I should be able to tell after words if an improvement happens.Question. Will motor continue to smoke more then usual after wards on the heavy sea foam concentrated mix until fresh gas mix is used without the seafoam?

As for the water I have tilted it up and down several times with no luck.I have enough water come out to fill a large glass or 2.As soon as you unmount and turn motor on side it drains from top exhaust.Water does stream out little pee hole near prop when removed but is not getting all the water apparently from exhaust area. Any more ideas????

tashasdaddy

post a picture of how you hose for the pee stream is run. could be that it is air locking.

post a picture of how you hose for the pee stream is run. could be that it is air locking.

Interesting?? I will not be able to get the pic's till probably Sunday afternoon.I will look at it to see if anything is obvious.Can you describe the correct way it should be or just look for kinks.

tashasdaddy

some motor the outlet on the block is on the side bottom, if it is, it should be route up above the block, and then to the outlet. some have the outlet on the top side of the block and are fine there.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Follow Captain Bob Dunkleberger's instructions in the engine FAQ forum carefully for a good SeaFoam de-carbon treatment: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

The 9.9 and 15 motors require a properly functioning 143? thermostat to keep from building carbon and producing excessive smoke.

The BRP/Evinrude XD-50 oil is a good choice for smoke reduction and it contains a carbon treatment additive so that you don't need another one.
http://shop.evinrude.com/dyn_prod.php?p=764352&k=84008

When you have the boat out of the water do you have the motor in the running position? It is only completely self-draining in the running position.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Other possible causes of smoking; the recirculation valves in the reed plate that clear crankcase of excess fuel,A bad fuel pump diaphram poorly adjusted/operating float valve,a bad headgasket would make white smoke that doesn't linger like oil haze.Sludge out the exhaust is pretty normal though these conditions could make it worse.I wonder if water is getting in the leg somewhere it isn't suposed to like from a leaky water tube?

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Seafoam is not gonna fix that problem. Seafoam isn't good for much unless your outboard is primarily used at low speeds.

Steelespike has the right ideas. I'm thinking possibly a leaky gasket.

Sludge and smoke is not normal. A decent running motor is not going to have either of those issues.

I don't get whats going on with the excess water in the lower end. I would fix that problem first and see if the sludge/smoke doesn't go away. Your entire lower unit might be filling up with water and somehow the water is getting into the powerhead.

Drop the lower unit and see whats going on.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I have a 1975 9.9Hp evinrude and the last time I changed the impeller, I cleaned a lot of sludge out of the area in and around the drain hole that allows the water to flow out. Have you cleaned that area out?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

In my humble opinion, your motor is smoking because you are running it in a barrel. Show me a motor that doesn't do that and I'll show you a motor that doesn't have any oil in the gas. Wait for spring and put it on a boat where it was designed to run and it will be fine.

coolguy147

Commander

In my humble opinion, your motor is smoking because you are running it in a barrel. Show me a motor that doesn't do that and I'll show you a motor that doesn't have any oil in the gas. Wait for spring and put it on a boat where it was designed to run and it will be fine.

hey f and r got somrhting for u.

my motor smokes in the lake! well mainly cause i have to run it at a 24:1 fuel mixture lol. thats 1 quart to 6 gallons. kinda a lot lol.

so haha my motor smokes int he water proves ur point

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a 2 hp 1993 Evinrude (made in Honk Kong??)
Anyways, I fired it up today and that thing smokes like a train. I also ran a late 80's 15hp Evinrude and a early 70's 6 hp in the same trash can today with very little smoke. The 15 doesn't smoke a bit. The 6 smokes some but nothing like the little 2 hp. No sludge from the 15 hp. The 6 hp has a little bit of sludge but nothing out of the ordinary. The 2 hp pukes out more sludge then normal.

I am going to order a head gasket next week and after I get it on I will let you know if that was the problem.

I just bought a 2 hp 1993 Evinrude (made in Honk Kong??)
Anyways, I fired it up today and that thing smokes like a train. I also ran a late 80's 15hp Evinrude and a early 70's 6 hp in the same trash can today with very little smoke. The 15 doesn't smoke a bit. The 6 smokes some but nothing like the little 2 hp. No sludge from the 15 hp. The 6 hp has a little bit of sludge but nothing out of the ordinary. The 2 hp pukes out more sludge then normal.

I am going to order a head gasket next week and after I get it on I will let you know if that was the problem.

Thanks guys for the reply's.Here's were I am at right now.
Did a good decarb yesterday and it did seem to help reduce some smoke.Motor runs great through out whole range from from a real low ideal to wide open!!With it running in a barrel and cold(20 degrees outside) it's hard to really say what the end result will be once on the lake in warmer weather.Whoopbass please let me know how the head gasket works out.Would a head gasket produce steam or oil fuel type smoke?Mine is oil fuel type of smoke do not believe it to be any steam.After the decarb it appears that my drainage of gray sludge has changed with the exhaust ports just above captivation plate leaking nothing nice and clean this morning but in the prop hub area leaking but now this is more of a cream color so I am wondering if I don't have a lower unit seal leaking now.Will pull bottom drain screw later to see if water has gotten in lower unitand report back later on that.
Now on the water draining issue.Have strong pee stream,after motor warms up have water coming out top under motor head exhaust ports.With motor off and in barrel took air compressor and blew air up pee hole had good bubbles in water so that appears clear.Next took air and blew it up exhaust ports just under hood and had good bubbles coming out exhaust holes just above captivation plate so that appears clear.Take motor out of barrel keep it straight up and down water peeing out bottom hole in front of prop so that seem good and clear.wait for all water to stop tilt motor backwards and water starts coming out top exhaust with some coming out the bottom exhaust ports also.I'am thinking the water is being held up in the motor and not able to drain properly.Could this be a thermostat issue holding the water up in the motor??? Or do you think I have a clog in channels the water goes through???Looking at a repair book looks like a square box the water flows through with the thermostat in the middle.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

hey f and r got somrhting for u.

my motor smokes in the lake! well mainly cause i have to run it at a 24:1 fuel mixture lol. thats 1 quart to 6 gallons. kinda a lot lol.

so haha my motor smokes int he water proves ur point

Where do you guys think that oil that you put in the gas goes, anyway? Every last drop of it goes through the combustion chambers, and on older motors a bunch of it also is dumped overboard via the crankcase drain valves. Anyhoo, none of it stays in the engine. Of the portion that goes through the combustion chambers, some of it is burned (smoke), and the rest goes out the exhaust where it is picks up nasty from the carbon particles in the exhaust pipe, then is emulsified with the expelled hot water and turns into nasty glop-sludge in the barrel. Depending on conditions, some may burn more of it and cause more smoke than others, but at the same time they are dumping more glop out the exhaust. It all has to go somewhere.

Rings, carbon, head gaskets, etc don't have a darn thing to do with it. If it runs, it is going to happen.

There are three cures:
1: Stop putting oil in the gas. (This cure won't last long)
2: Don't run the motor. (Think abstinance)
3: Buy a four-stroke.

F R as you say it is smoking because being ran in a barrel I agree with but I ran this motor last fall on the lake and that is where I was saying it smoked so bad.I posted an update earlier today after doing a good decarb and posted my results in that post.The smoke I am getting now is much less then before but still a fair amount but that could be because of the barrel and cold temps.We will see when spring gets here.My biggest concern now at this moment is the water draining issue as I posted my observations and thoughts in the post before this one. Please read that post and see if anybody has some ideas that would help.Thanks

After the decarb it appears that my drainage of gray sludge has changed with the exhaust ports just above captivation plate leaking nothing nice and clean this morning but in the prop hub area leaking but now this is more of a cream beige color so I am wondering if I don't have a lower unit seal leaking now.Will pull bottom drain screw later to see if water has gotten in lower unitand report back later on that.

I pulled bottom screw of lower unit and fluid looks brand new(because it is) no signs of water at all. Is it possible to pull fluid out of unit without allowing it in?? Maybe the color change is just from good cleaning the motor got from the decarb.

Now on the water draining issue.Have strong pee stream,after motor warms up have water coming out top under motor head exhaust ports.With motor off and in barrel took air compressor and blew air up pee hole had good bubbles in water so that appears clear.Next took air and blew it up exhaust ports just under hood and had good bubbles coming out exhaust holes just above captivation plate so that appears clear.Take motor out of barrel keep it straight up and down water peeing out bottom hole in front of prop so that seem good and clear.wait for all water to stop tilt motor backwards and water starts coming out top exhaust with some coming out the bottom exhaust ports also.I'am thinking the water is being held up in the motor and not able to drain properly.Could this be a thermostat issue holding the water up in the motor??? Or do you think I have a clog in channels the water goes through???Looking at a repair book looks like a square box the water flows through with the thermostat in the middle.
ANY IDEAS????? Sorry for the multiple post just trying to keep my questions where everyone can see them easily.Thanks

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

That box is the thermostat housing. Pulling the t-stat is easy but I don't think that would cause your problem but you never know.

I cleaned the carb and all the electrical grounds on the 2 hp. Inspected the piston and its shiny so a decarb probably wouldn't help this motor.
I ran it in a barrel and its still running rough with lots of white smoke and creamy sludge.
I removed the lower unit and stuck it back in the barrel and fired it up. The outboard runs a lot smoother, smokes about 50% less, and not much sludge if any but its hard to tell since I can't run it that long.
I'm sure there's water getting in the cylinder.
Remove the lower unit on your motor and run it for a 30 seconds or so and see if the smoke doesn't cut down. The difference between your motor and mine is that your outboard runs good. Since mine is made in Honk Kong maybe its a turd.

I have another 15 Evinrude that has the exact same problems as your motor. Runs good but there is creamy sludge and lots of smoke. I decarbed it over two days but the only thing that did was get the fire department out. I was going to part it out and avoid the hassle of trying to fix it but I might start tinkering around with it some more.

Report your progress and I will do the same.