Hrs on a Yamaha 50HP / 60HP 4 Stroke

liamtovey

Cadet
I'm looking at purchasing a 1998 Yahama 4 stroke 50 / 60 HP outboard. Is there any way to confirm the number of hours that the engine has done ? ie. Is there a counter etc.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Liam

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hrs on a Yamaha 50HP / 60HP 4 Stroke

I don't know anything about a way to verify hours, but here's my opinion. I would rather have an outboard with lots of hours on it that was visibly in good shape and had a documented history of loving care and maintenance. These things rarely wear out. The usually rust/corrode out from lack use and or poor maintenance. Sitting still is death to marine equipment. Use it or lose it is my motto. Just take care of it while your using it. Quit worrying about the hours and just have the engine checked out by a competent mechanic and size up the previous owner(s) if possible.

Forktail

Ensign
Re: Hrs on a Yamaha 50HP / 60HP 4 Stroke

No way to know without an hour meter or an honest pre-owner.<br /><br />It's a good outboard. You should be able to tell a lot by the condition under the cowl, cleanliness of the engine oil and gear lube, etc. I guess you could look for bolts that have been removed (paint missing). Maybe get a compression check and test run.