Gale 12D11B resto?

Troutrider

Recruit
I just picked up a 12 HP Gale Buccaneer in a trade. I'm fixing up an old 14 ft. Alumacraft to take the boy fishing and trying to decide if the Gale is worth tearing into. The spark plug wires are cut off at the ends. The motor turns over with a pull and everything seems to be there. Is there anything in particular I should check before spending time and money on starting a resto? I just don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up with a bomb. I've restored a bunch of motorcycles but haven't done an outboard. Should I check the compression or do a leakdown test? Are the bottom ends pretty bulletproof? The wife has put up with plenty of burned $$$$ on bikes so I want to try to be sure of what I have before throwing money in the bottomless pit. Thanks.

Trout

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gale 12D11B resto?

You do know the definition of a boat right :D I am working on a Gale 5d10, see post below. I think the biggest thing well be to make sure the impeller is good of course and that the spark is good, I am not sure as to the compatibility with Johnsons for this one but there is probably a good chance that you can get new aftermarket parts for it. If you need I have the factory service manual and I think it does cover that motor, if you want I can scan pages for you and email them to you if needed, PM me.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The Gale 12D11 (1954-55) is a knock-off of the Evinrude 15hp. Many parts are the same. The Gale does have a smaller bore size and aluminum connecting rods. The Evinrude has steel rods with roller bearings. Do not skimp on oil and it will be fine. No less oil than 24:1.

The most likely expense you will find is that the magneto coils will be shot unless they have already been replaced. They are available everywhere, including right here at i-boats. Get your impeller and carb kits here also.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class

One wonders how many different motors OMC used those ignition parts on over the years, at least it is not something obscure like the last motor bike I picked up :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I just picked up a 12 HP Gale Buccaneer in a trade. I'm fixing up an old 14 ft. Alumacraft to take the boy fishing and trying to decide if the Gale is worth tearing into. The spark plug wires are cut off at the ends. The motor turns over with a pull and everything seems to be there. Is there anything in particular I should check before spending time and money on starting a resto? I just don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up with a bomb. I've restored a bunch of motorcycles but haven't done an outboard. Should I check the compression or do a leakdown test? Are the bottom ends pretty bulletproof? The wife has put up with plenty of burned $$$$ on bikes so I want to try to be sure of what I have before throwing money in the bottomless pit. Thanks.

Trout

I would suggest a compression check and drain the gearcase and note the condition of the lube.These motors a pretty much bullet proof with a little care many routine parts interchange with the E/J motors and other brand built Gales.As far as help and parts you couldn't pick a better old timer to work on.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

One wonders how many different motors OMC used those ignition parts on over the years, at least it is not something obscure like the last motor bike I picked up :D

I picked one coil Sierra 5181 covers 40 years 1.5hp to 40 hp.
And some of the other coils difference might just be the leads
like for remote application and such.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I picked one coil Sierra 5181 covers 40 years 1.5hp to 40 hp.
And some of the other coils difference might just be the leads
like for remote application and such.

Actually longer than that. The OMC Universal Magneto came out in 1951 and was still being used on the 1990 Evinrude 1.2hp.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Actually longer than that. The OMC Universal Magneto came out in 1951 and was still being used on the 1990 Evinrude 1.2hp.

Right ;I guess I should have said 40 model years.50-90

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nah, I just need to learn to read....or add.

Troutrider

Recruit

Thanks guys. Today's the day I tear into it. Maybe I better go to the beer store first. BTW, is there a particular spark plug I should get. I guess I need coils too since someone snipped the ends off the plug wires.

Troutrider

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The plug wires are separate items. No need to replace an otherwise good coil just to get a wire. Use only copper core plug wire. Car wire (carbon string core) is no good in an outboard. If you can't find copper core, go to a farm supply store. They use it in tractors all the time.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You can get solid core plug wire kits right here at iboats or NAPA auto parts.Plugs are Champion J6C set at .030.