Sealing gas tank and hose to ride in car

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone have any ideas on how to seal up a gas can and hose for a 14 hour car ride? The tank will be empty, but there is no way to get all the gas out of the hose. Mainly concerned about the smell.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sealing gas tank and hose to ride in car

best bet is luggage rack that slides into a reciever hitch. wash down the tank, vent closed, the hose should be self sealing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would seal the gas line in a ziplock bag. The gas tank can be sealed in a garbage bag, or you could rinse it inside and out with soap and water and then chase the water with alcohol or acetone. It should smell significantly less, althought you may still want to bag it.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

best bet is luggage rack that slides into a reciever hitch. wash down the tank, vent closed, the hose should be self sealing.

I'm towing a 30' travel trailer with the rear hitch. A front hitch is on my wish list for next year!:)

mthieme

Captain

Bungie cord it on the roof (?).

tashasdaddy

you did not ask Santa for a front hitch? luggage rack on rear of trailer. possible room on the tongue of the trailer?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

It's one of those Walmart tanks that only has one handle, thus it is difficult to strap down. I'm going to look for a small nylon car topper and strap it to the roof. I was hoping for an anti gas smell magic bullet! Thanks guys.

tashasdaddy

duct tape works wonders.

pvanv

Admiral

If it's too difficult to keep the tank and hose outside, maybe there's room for it in the 30' travel trailer. If the vents are closed, and the check balls are working correctly on the hose, shouldn't stink too much at all.