painting the bottom of a center console

drfish18

Seaman
what is the best and most reasonable method of painting a center console? What I mean is cost and type of paint.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: painting the bottom of a center console

Bottom paint starts at about $69 a gallon.Anything that has at least 40%copper will be ok for Jersey.West marine has their own brand in that range.Wait until spring and roll it on.Charlie

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you get the right paint for the type of material and pay close attention to the manufacturers instructions - otherwise it might not stay on long.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do you do most of your boating in salt water? if so how long do you keep it in the water? If you do only day outings you may not need to paint it.

drfish18

Seaman

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> Do you do most of your boating in salt water? if so how long do you keep it in the water? If you do only day outings you may not need to paint it.

drfish18

Seaman

I keep my boat in the salt water for six months.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> Bottom paint starts at about $69 a gallon.Anything that has at least 40%copper will be ok for Jersey.West marine has their own brand in that range.Wait until spring and roll it on.Charlie
6mos. in salt...I quote myself !!! Is that a first??? :confused:

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

You get what you pay for. I uas multi season paint. Boat is in the water 8 months. Power wash at the end of the season and thouh up in the spring. Good Multi- season paint will last at least 2 years. I get 3 only have to touch up chips and the water line.<br /> Dead Eye

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe anyone has mentioned it, but it is also inportant to know if the fresh paint will work over the paint that is already there. You might have to remove the old stuff, some paint will go over anything some won't. Since I haul the boat every year, I paint every year, not worth the haul out mid season if multi year paint fails mid year 2. I use the West Marine $69. paint, & apply it with a 6" brush after a light scuffing. Been doing this for years here on Long Island, NY with no problems. Good Luck, Joe