Lincoln mercury mercruiser Ford

a70eliminator

Captain
Are they at all affiliated? I think not?
I overheard some guy at work talking B*S* He was taking about some boat he got for cheap with a mercruiser he was telling some other guy the outdrive was actually Ford built as in Mercury, I couldn't just butt in on their conversation, figured the guy he was talking to didn't know anything anyhow, but then again, maybe I'm the one that needs educated, I feel pretty stupid for even asking. Ah shoot posted in the wrong topic sorry mods.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lincoln mercury mercruiser Ford

Yes from the best of my knowledge, they are all Ford. I'm not 100% sure on the outdrives but as for Mercruisers and cars yes.

a70eliminator

Captain

No way! Good thing I didn't butt in, I would have been the idiot.
We're taking boat engines outboards and outdrives here, I know lincolns and mercury cars are all FOMOCO.

D

DJ

Lincoln-Mercury is Ford. It is franchise as in a Lincoln-Merc. dealership. Dealers selling Lincolns and Mercury's.

Mercury Marine is not, nor has ever been affiliated with Ford.

Mercury did buy some engines from Ford in the mid-Seventies but that's about it.

Ford did sell engines to other marinizers until the mid-nineties.

chiefalen

Captain

Animal shame on you. Why are all the motors GM based.

DJ got it right . He even learned me a thing or 2.

You think ford would not cut their arm off before placing a GM motor with their product.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Lincoln-Mercury is Ford. It is franchise as in a Lincoln-Merc. dealership. Dealers selling Lincolns and Mercury's.

Mercury Marine is not, nor has ever been affiliated with Ford.

Mercury did buy some engines from Ford in the mid-Seventies but that's about it.

Ford did sell engines to other marinizers until the mid-nineties.

Reason I was confused, and I'm still a little :confused:. Back when I was checking on this Mercruiser 470, I was asking if the motor was a ford or Chevy. It was said that the motor was a ford if the distributor is located in the front, which mine is. From what I am reading ford sold these engines, or maybe just the blocks to Mercury?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

You're creating alot of the confusion All by yourself...

You keep interchanging Mercury,+ Mercruiser....
While these 2 entities Are in fact part of the Same corporation,..
They're Not the Same thing...
Mercury Marine builds Outboard motors.....
Mercruiser Marine builds I/Os,+ Inboards....

While, many years ago, Mercruiser Marine had a relationship with Ford Motor Co....
Buying Motors,+ Parts for their I/Os,+ Inboards,... They were Never the Same company...

Mercury Marine, the outboard builders have Never been associated with Ford/ Lincoln/ Mercury Motor Co...

The guys at work seem to Both be Dummies...

captmello

Captain

the 460 head right? See, they are the same!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Kiekhaefer Mercury Has never been affiliated with Fomoco.

They basically invented the stern drive too. (even that Volvo thing was designed by a
Kiekhaefer "engineer")

Click http://www.rbbi.com/folders/pat/isd.htm for more info...

Cheers,

Rick

D

DJ

the 460 head right? See, they are the same!!!

460 Head and all the pieces that go with it. I believe it also has 460 rods and pistons. THAT DOES NOT make them the same company.

The block is 100% Mercury Marine. Where the distributor is is irrevelant.

Bond-o. is right, Mercury marine is the maker of Mercury outboards and MerCruiser drive systems (I/O's, V-Drives, inboards).

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Goes to show that I'm not a big "Mercury Marine" fan, nor am I a "Mercury/ Mercruiser" fan for that matter. I'll stick with my E'rude outboards.

Live and learn the hard way.

D

DJ

Kiekhaefer Mercury Has never been affiliated with Fomoco.

They basically invented the stern drive too. (even that Volvo thing was designed by a Kiekhaefer "engineer")

Click http://www.rbbi.com/folders/pat/isd.htm for more info...

Cheers,

Rick

There's more to it. Charles Strang (later w/OMC) and Jim Wynne invented the I/O. Carl Keikhaefer (owner of Mercury Marine) wanted nothing to do with it. Since Strang was in the employ of Keikhaefer, he let Wynne sell the rights to Volvo.

Once Keikhaefer saw it was viable, he asked Strang to design one. Keikhaefer did not know, at that time, that Strang was the original designer. :eek: Carl K. was a stubborn old Goat.

Read the Book; "Iron Fist" by Rodingen.

Bondo

Staff member

The block is 100% Mercury Marine. Where the distributor is is irrevelant.

Ayuh,....

I believe that's in relevance to the V-motors,... Chevy aft,+ Fords fore...

fishrdan

Admiral

I overheard some guy at work talking B*S* He was taking about some boat he got for cheap with a mercruiser he was telling some other guy the outdrive was actually Ford built as in Mercury.

LOL

Should have told him you go down to your friendly Ford/Lincoln/Mercury parts department to order boat parts all the time, 50% off the marine shops. I'd pay money to see him trying to order a water pump impeller for a his new rig,,, and the reaction from the the parts counter guy. :D

On second thought you better not, tough enough trying to keep people from sticking car parts on their boat :rolleyes:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There's more to it. Charles Strang (later w/OMC) and Jim Wynne invented the I/O. Carl Keikhaefer (owner of Mercury Marine) wanted nothing to do with it. Since Strang was in the employ of Keikhaefer, he let Wynne sell the rights to Volvo.

Once Keikhaefer saw it was viable, he asked Strang to design one. Keikhaefer did not know, at that time, that Strang was the original designer. :eek: Carl K. was a stubborn old Goat.

Read the Book; "Iron Fist" by Rodingen.

You're right of course.....I just LOVE this story!

mphy98

Lieutenant

yep, no relation between fmc/lm and mercury marine. we did have the latter here in wisconsin though. a huge facility up by appleton i believe. don't know if it is still in operation anymore or if it moved to mexico :(