ttrim & tilt pump will not raise outboard or lower it HELP

pasquale1968

Cadet
Hello and happy to be here. i could use some help with my 98 mariner 115 hp carbuerated 2 stroke.I recently took apart the trim motor and found one of the connections to one of the brushes had come loose so i resoldered it and got it back in running condition,however i do not seem to know the proper way to refill the trim unit. i tried putting some hydraulic fluid in lower unit and attempted to raise and lower motor but no luck thus far i would happy with any suggestions or if anyone could possibly tell me the proper procedure to refill the unit Thanks Pasquale1968

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: ttrim & tilt pump will not raise outboard or lower it HELP

Some you don't have to bleed. Not sure in your case. You may have to bleed the system. Somebody that can help you will post soon I hope....

pasquale1968

Cadet

Thanks Tim Mathis I Tried that but i had no luck i appreciate though

timmathis

Lieutenant

I use dextron ATF fluid that is what the dealer told me to use.<br />Can you hear the unit run or click?

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I'm not sure if my old t&t is the same as your's, but I re-installed and refilled mine last week end.<br /><br />Make sure the bypass valve is closed. It's a knurled knob on the side at the bottom. Closed means turned out all the way, counter clockwise.<br /><br />Lift the engine all the way, so the cyclinders are retracted. Might havta do this by hand, just open the bypass.<br /><br />Below the t&t motor is the oil reservoir. Mine had 2 screws on different levels. One is the level screw the other the filling screw. Best description I can give is... They're close to each other. Opposite the hose connections. Both vertical and use a flat screw driver to remove.<br /><br />Fill from the top till fluid pushes out the bottom. Work the t&t up and down a couple of times 3-5. Refill, repeat. Fill only when the engine is in the up position. Until the level doesn't drop anymore. Get the engine in the up trailer position, fill one last time and close it up.<br /><br />All of this is assuming the electric side is fine. You can hear the motor spin up and everything.

pasquale1968

Cadet

Tim Mathis I did use dexron ATF Thanks Again

pasquale1968

Cadet

(Merc Fan) Hi thanks for reading this post,<br />1)I,m a little confused when i lift my motor to trailer position my piston is fully extended. 2)if i screw the bypass valve counter clockwise i will be removing it and the engine will drop back down not sure if there the same Thanx Pasquale1968

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Pasq,<br /><br />It's very different from mine then. My bypass valve looks as if it will drop out, but it actually has a hard stop preventing you from turning it out any further. Only then can my trim pump actually build pressure to move the cylinders. If it's screwed in all the way the oil just circulates inside the pump and the engine will just slowly drop to the down position irrespective of what I tell it to do using the trim switch.

owlcritic

Cadet

Pasquale, I have been battling with this self same problem for almost two months now. My engines are Mariner 100's; 1990 and by the looks of it the same T&T system as yours.<br />Here's what I have learnt so far - 000's of bucks later...<br />Firstly, make sure that the motor armature slots fully into the pump receptacle. The original square motor has a hex shape at the end of the armature whilst the newer (CDI) pump has a flat end with an adapter to fit the hex of the pump.<br />Secondly, if your system is the same as mine you need not bleed it per se. Fill it with ATF and run the pump for a few seconds +- 20 , slowly open the filler cap , you should hear a quick rush of escaping air. Repeat this process for the up and down circuit untill the pistons are firm - all sponginess gone- and the reservoir remains full<br />NB do this before connecting the tilt ram to the engine.<br /><br />As the system primes and you get rid of air the pistons will start behaving in the manner expected ie rising and falling in turn.<br /><br />Now connect your tilt ram arm/piston to the motor and it should run correctly.<br /><br />I found that the increased pressure in the system tends to blow seals elsewhere - see my laments on the forum. I do not know whether this is beause of something I did wrong or whether it is a 'domino principle ' thing.<br /><br />Good luck & Let me know if this works for you.

pasquale1968

Cadet

Owlcritic<br />That was it the armature was not seated properly took it apart and reinstalled now its working great thank you very much you made my day<br />Pasquale1968<br />Happy Boating

timmathis

Lieutenant

Good Job!!!! Tim

timmathis

Lieutenant

Good Job!!!! Tim

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great stuff Pasq!<br /><br />I was at the boat yesterday and took pictures. <br />Rechecked...<br />Engine down, cylinders fully extended. Cylinders retracted = trailer<br /><br />The only reason that the cylinders have to be fully retracted when you fill is, the cylinders are double acting. They power up and power down. The volume of oil in the cylinder when it's fully retracted is less than the volume of oil when the cylinder is fully extended. It's less the shaft volume.<br /><br />So if you fill when the cylinders are extended, and you then retract them, the reservoir won't be big enough to accept the extra oil, and thus you might end up with a nasty oil spill in your boat.<br /><br />So fill with the cylinders retracted, work it a couple of times to get the air out and refill. Keep doing this till the reaction of the cylinders are immediate. That shows there's no air in the system. If the pumps runs for a couple of secondes before the engine moves, it means there's air in the system that is being compressed before you see any movement.<br /><br />Great to hear you got it right!!!