Toilet paper is about 150 years old....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
What was the practice for personal cleanliness prior to the invention of TP? My Dad still remembers having the old Sears catalog in the outhouse when he was a boy. He was born 1930. My Mom said she always remembers having toilet paper. My generation has always taken toilet paper for granted (until the roll runs out).

How about you?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Toilet paper is about 150 years old....

I was born in 42 and can remember catalogs in the outhouse. TP cost money and catalogs were free.

mthieme

Captain

After the canister oil filter was invented, there were warehouses of these rolls and nobody knew how to unload them. They tried marketing them as yo-yos, but they never came back. There was a problem with trying to sell them as ping-pong balls as they didn't bounce quite well enough. They were too flimsy to use as bandages. There was a brief success selling them as the never ending napkin.
Finally, like Buffalo Wings, they gave it to some drunks in a bar on the way to the outhouse as a joke . Apparently, the bar had invested heavily in pre-cartridge oil filters and had a ready supply. The rolls did not stick well in the dart board, and also would not go into the pockets of the billiard table). One of the drunks, an Irishman (go figure) got wind of it, shook his head and muttered "sh1te".
The rest is history.
:D

Not convinced TP was a joke....
Why does it never tear on the perferations?
How do obese people use it effectively?
How does a blind person know when he's finished?

Tyme2fish

Commander

Mrs. Tyme just bought a new toilet brush. I told her it worked alright but was a little rough and that I preferred to go back to toilet paper.:eek:

aspeck

Staff member

The left hand always works well ... and today it was a bunch of big oak leaves.

WizeOne

Commander

If you were a good muslim you would use your right hand.:D:eek::p

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

The left hand always works well ... and today it was a bunch of big oak leaves.

Stay away from Pin Oak leaves! Unopened pine cones will work, if you watch the direction of application.

Which reminds me of a story.

My daughter, at age 11, became a Girl Scout camp councilor. She was a repel master, led the 50-mile back pack trek, led the 50-mile canoe trek, and taught wilderness survival course that lasted 12 months. Unfortunately, even to this day, can not tell poison ivy from boston ivy. Luckily, she used sycamore leaves for nature calls, but pitched her tent in a field of poison ivy.

Ever picked up a son or daughter who were returning from summer camp and watched a kid come off the bus and thought, thank god that one is not mine? Well we did and it was ours! Poor thing got systemic poison ivy that to this day, she will break out during the middle of winter.

WizeOne

Commander

Mrs. Tyme just bought a new toilet brush. I told her it worked alright but was a little rough and that I preferred to go back to toilet paper.:eek:

Hee, hee!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Corn husks work ok if they are still a little moist.
My g-grandfather used to keep some separate from the silage, kept it moist and pliable for several months.

Note: these were corn husks, NOT corn plant leaves.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

happy birthday toilet paper

gonefishie

Commander

Deep thought of the day...........did cave man used anything at all or did they just leave it?

ehenry

Commander

Like the FruitCake lady said......."It doesnt matter what you use.....Your ***** wont know the difference!"

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Cavemen probably did like our dog Daisy does, drags her butt cross the carpet to clean up. :mad: I keep showing her toilet paper, but all she does is eat it.

ziggy

Admiral

man, cabin fever is really setting in early this year it looks like to me....

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

From what I understand back in the old days they use to reuse the same bath water. I can just picture somebodies kid going to take a bath and the mother asked the kid "how clean is the water" the kid replies "I can still see my legs underwater so we're alright" or "the water isn't black enough yet so everythings fine" :eek:.

I recall seeing the recovered treasure from the one ship wreck (I can't remember the name of). They had somebodies personal stuff displayed, there was a tooth pick type piece that if I remember right people used to clean there ears out with.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny how some things never change...Even though TP is nearly 150 years old, it really has not changed that much. Sure there is pleated tissue, and dbl and now triple ply but, has it really changed that much.

I was brought up the same way my father was, only three sheets of TP but you could have all the newspaper you wanted.

My daughter on the other hand, (no pun entended) thinks it not only grows on trees but, the rolls are magic too. For as far as she knows they climb out from under the sink and jump up onto the holder by them self.

As I think back to my military days, I remember that TP was as good as gold in the field. As less and less people smoke these days, we had to re-invent field trading. My best score that I can remember was two packs of TP out of the MREs for a package of hot chocolate powder, two extra 10 round mags and a John Wayne bar. Of course after the 15 year old candy I was glad I had brought a roll of two ply from the rear.

Guys and gals in the service today, while I respect them fully, just have no idea, what, with babywipes and the like. They even have the Aloe stuff in the PX...grunts just are not like they used to be.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

How about all those trees getting destroyed just to make TP? If you are a true tree hugger, you would use both sides of the TP.

Tyme2fish

Commander

How about all those trees getting destroyed just to make TP? If you are a true tree hugger, you would use both sides of the TP.

What???? You mean there are people out there that only use one side??? :eek: :D

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I field strip my cigarettes, discard tobacco fold paper in half, then fold in half again, then tear the inside corner off. Be sure to save this small circle. Unfold cirgarette paper, insert middle finger thru hole, wipe, discard paper, then take the saved circle of paper and use to clean under the finger nail.:eek::eek:

mthieme

Captain

What???? You mean there are people out there that only use one side??? :eek: :D

And then you can turn the plies over so as to get two more good sides.
Kinda like getting four days out of your skivvies!